1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of 36" Widescreen's?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pardip, Sep 29, 2004.

1. pardip

pardip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an up to date comparison list of 36" Widescreen TV's? Ideally I am looking for a shootout but anything will help!

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Most of the "Home Cinema" mags have a list of 36" TV's that they've tested.

Probably wont be complete but will cover most makes/models.

On the Web, the various comparison sites (Kelkoo etc) will also list them.

3. pardip

pardip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. There aren't many 36" WS out there so I just need a list so that I can compare them myself. Any recommendations?

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Sony, Panasonic, Phillips and Toshiba are probably the top makes (bet someone disagrees :devil: ).

The problem with asking for recommendations on the Forum is that few, if any, members will own all four of these and so it's difficult to make a comparison.

Being a TG, I have just one (Panasonic) and I'm very pleased with it. :thumbsup:

But I'm sure the other makes will all have their fans.

As has been said many times, only you can tell what's right for you!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JVC is a panny in another box actually only panny and sony make 36" tubes for europe IIRC philips used too but which ever TV you buy chances are its got someone elses tube in it.....

6. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have the JVC 36" and the picture is pretty crap. I have looked at the Panasonic and the picture is far superior (both PL32 and the PD30). They may manufacture the basic tubes but the electronics and signal processing are definately totally different.

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you that a 36ZP38B has a toshiba tube in it because only last week I had the back off one that a mate of mine recently purchased. Some helpful little person decided she was going to feed the telly, and managed to get bread through the cooling vents! What a nice little cleaning job that was...NOT!

Don't know if that's the case for the ZP46/48, but I see no reason to assume otherwise.

There are a few CRT manufacturers to choose from. Panasonic, Samsung, Thomson, Toshiba, Philips (aka LG), Orion, and some others. It would not surprise me that JVC don't make their own tubes because it is a very expensive business to set up in. I have been lucky enough to have seen around the LG philips (formerly mullard) plant near Newcastle as part of my education and I can tell you that it's a massive process. Miles and miles of production lines, phenomenal amounts of plant and machinery - it made a factory making elecrical goods look like a corner shop in comparison to a supermarket, and trust me, the plant I saw was a tiny operation compared to the ones in Poland and the Czech Republic! CRT's may look simple but the processes are anything but. This is why most TV manufacturers do not set up tube factories of their own.