1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liquid Cooling amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil_Yeoman, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am finally happy that my system is the best that I can make it based on the law of diminishing returns. I am now looking at other technologies to help me get even more from my system. I have for several years been involved in forced cooling systems for large high power servers. These have ranged form fairly simple water cooled setups to adaptive cooling systems.The idea behind all of these is to allows the processors to run faster and thus increase performance.

Going back to my university days "yes post Newton" I remember sitting through a couple of lectures on optimum "operational enviornments for electronic components". The upshot here was that transistor based amplifiers had an optimum opperating temperature at which they produced an almost linner response. This temperature was much lower than the running temperature of heatsinked components.

OK fade back to now. What I am thinking is that I could take some of this server cooling technology and apply it to my Brystons. This would allow me to

• have a better sounding system
    • reduce the heat in the HT
    • extend the opperational life of the amps
    • allow me to spend some more money

The drawbacks as I see it are

• possible condensation
    • possible leaks

The eventual system would also cool my projector so that the fans could be removed and the annoying backround humm killed off forever.

Any comments, experience or suggestions would be very welcome.

Phil

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would look around some PC overclocking sites/forums. A lot of people there will have experience of applying this to PC's.

I wouldn't think it would take a lot of work to redesign some of their stuff to work on AV gear.

Personally I see no reason to say it won't work. I wouldn't worry about leaks etc, people use this stuff in PC's worth thousands of pounds with no problems.

3. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The stuff they use on PC's would not be up to the task of removing the amount of heat generated by the monoblocks.

You need a high flow rate so that you don't need very low temperature coolent which in tern produced condensation.

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    You could try checking out sites dedicated to In car stereo systems, as I know some in car power amps use liquid cooling.

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, the latest CPUs produce more thermal power per unit area than any other IC. I think you'll find that the high end water cooling stuff is totally suitable for a monobloc in terms of heat capacity.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interesting one,Phil.....my Krells have fan cooled(virtually silent...you have to stand besdie them to hear the things)output stages,which run close to 80C....to ensure thermal tracking between the driver stages and the output transistors,the former is also mounted on the output stage heat sinking.

In all honesty,I'm not sure it would improve the sound of your Brystons,bearing in mind the makers have optimised them to sound and work best at their standard operating temperature,which is certainly the case with the Krells...they actually sound quite heavy and leaden until fully hot after about 30mins.
    Operational life won't be a problem with the Brystons either,with the 20yr guarantee,and from my experience running the Krells which run at a much higher temperature,I cant see any problems with yours,which have a very much lower standing current.

If you want to spend more money...now that's a different matter!

:cool:

7. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alexs2

I must admit that their cuurently is noting wrong with the sound and the amps do run silent.

The problem I have is that they each put out over 3500 Btu/Hr when driven hard. Now although my speaker are not the easiest to drive the amps very rarely work at even 50% of maximum. Unfortunaly his is still around 1700btu/Hr *7 = 11900Btu/Hr goining into the HT. add to this the heat from the projector and this leaves the room very hot even with the AC turned to max.

I think your right about the amps being optimised for the normal opperating temps and they also need to run for a good half hour to get them singing. But my main point was that the heat they put into the enviornment pushes them outside of their nornal opperating temps.

I must admit that the main reason behind the cooling system is to allow me to remove the fans from the projector. I was just hoping to come up with a system that would kill two birds with one snowball :)

Phil

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'm not very good at converting Btu's to Kw,but I find having the Krells(5x100W pure Class A)running certainly warms the room up....allowing for about 20% efficiency,it comes to about 2kW of heat.....fine in winter,but not so good in summer!

I see where you're going with the heat issue there....but still would be surprised if it makes much difference to amps of that sort of quality...certainly will make some difference to your quality of living though,without all the heat....just remember the warranty....you may have problems explaining the coolant to Bryston!

9. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    alexs2

Fortunatly the Brstons heatsinks run along the side of the amp (external) so attaching a cooling systemwouldn't be a problem. just to put the heat generated into prespective one of these monoblocks is capable of puting out 900watts which equates to just under 2kw per amp :eek:

Just as a matter of interest what do you think of your upsampler. i have a separate audio only system hich could benefit

Phil

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thats a good bit of heat!...luckily the idling current and dissipation in the Brystons isnt too high as they're biassed into Class A/B....the Krells just run at full tilt all the time,hence fans or meltdown!

As for the upsampler,I listened to dCS's offering prior to buying it and the PT dac also,and have been very pleased with it...for the folks here who insist on blind trials,even my wife can tell when it's switched in or out.

It upsamples CD to 24/96 resolution and interpolates the data between using a DSP chip,and everyone who's either reviewed it or listened independently has commented on the sound quality....I use mine to upsample CD input to my Tag AV32R...highly recommended. :cool: