• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Lipsyncing problem with RXV685

soylentgreen

Standard Member
Hey all,

I recently bought a new tv (Sony KD55XF7003BU) and an AV amp (Yamaha RXV685).

Everything's great, except I can't seem to get the lip syncing working. It's a pretty standard setup, with media player, ps4 etc going into the amp, and connected to the tv with the ARC HDMI channel.

I would expect to see the tv send the processing delay to the amp, and to be able to see this integer value in the amp lipsync settings. But I can't, and the audio is slightly out of sync (I can hear the delay echo when I activate both the tv speakers, and the amp speakers, and manually align it fine).

Anyone got experience of these products?

Cheers!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The TV's audio delay setting only applies to audio the TV is outputting via its own speakers and has no influence upon audio being procesed by the AV receiver.

You'd need to use the receiver's own lipsync audio delay to adjust the audio being output via the receiver's speakers. This becomes rather complex when dealing with ARC sources because you cannot simultaneously see the TV's video source as well as the AV receiver on screen menus. There's also the fact that Yamaha apply audio delays universally to all sources unless you turn lipsync off for the sources you do not wish it to be applied to.

If experiencing audio sync issue then I'd suggest you look at what is causing the video delay that would result in such issues? Too much video processing and frame interpolation is the most common cause.

soylentgreen

Standard Member
Hey dante,

I didn't really understand your answer....I think I didn't explain my problem clearly enough, I was rushing a bit.

My TV has no audio delay settings, but as part of the hdmi spec, I believe it should send down to the amp the current amount of time it takes to render the screen (I think most tvs just send down a hardcoded value), and the amp can automatically set it's delay to this value.

I've seen this work on Yamaha amps before. When you view the lip sync value in the options, you can see the value in ms, but I just get a "---" signifying no value has been processed.

It's not a huge problem, I can just manually set the delay. A nice feature of the RXV685 is that you CAN set the audio delay independently for different sources.

cheers dude!

dante01

Distinguished Member
HDMI does include provision for syncronisation, but this doesn't alwats counter some of the additional processing being applied to the video. You often find that some adjustment is required despite the lipsync fetures associated with HDMI.

The AUTO option within the receiver's Lipsync configrations is only utilised if the TV actually supports the feature. Even then, you may still need to make mnor adjustments to counter the video delay being imposed by the TV's video processing.

You may find this article of interest:
Help! My Audio and Video Aren't in Sync

Last edited:

soylentgreen

Standard Member
Ta,

I've actually noticed a real problem now. When watching broadcast TV the audio is lagging BEHIND the picture. For broadcast TV, I use the optical cable out from the TV.

I'm guessing the Yamaha is adding processing lag when decoding the sound?? My old Yamaha (a RX-V667) had no such problems.

I find it hard to believe the new amp is massively more inefficient than my old one. I've switched off every processing feature I can find.....but it still lags.

Anyone got any suggestions? is it possibly a fault?

dante01

Distinguished Member
If audio is lagging then this is more than likely an issue with the broadcaser as opposed to it having anything to do with your hardware or setup.

Audio processing wouldn't impose enough of a delay for you to be able to notice. It rakes hardly any time at all for the receiver to apply audio processing. It is video processing that requires more processing and causing a delay and not audio.

The new receiver is not less efficient and actually includes both a better audio and video processor than many older models.

Where are you accessing the TV broadcasts from?

Last edited:

soylentgreen

Standard Member
Audio processing wouldn't impose enough of a delay for you to be able to notice.
Yeah - this is what I would have thought. I am however seeing a lag.
I can confirm there is a lag by switching on the tv speakers and the amp at the same time. I can hear a very small echo as the amp sound comes out ever-so-slightly behind the tv sound.

Where are you accessing the TV broadcasts from?
been using sky news and bbc news on freeview....staring at mouths for about an hour last night!!

Is it possible the TV is at fault? maybe delaying the optical-out somehow?

Edit...I might plug a different TV into the optical interface tonight, see how that fares. I'll keep you informed (I'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seat all day now!)

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
So there's effectively no lag then because you'd not ordinarilly have both the TV's and the receiver's speakers working in conjunction with one another. I'd not expect your AV receiver's speakers to be synchronised with the TV anyway. Tie speakers connected to the receiver all have delays associated with them relative yo your listening position and the distance settings on the receiver. A TV has no such ability oer settings.

If the video is before the audio then there's something else going on and it isn't the receiver causing the issue.

soylentgreen

Standard Member
After some messing, I narrowed the problem down.

It only happens on HD channels when the channel is passing through Dolby Digital. I can "fix" the sync problems by setting the TV to only pass through PCM.

I tried another TV, and that worked fine. So I'm presuming the KD55XF7003BU is at fault.

I can probably live with this.....but it's just annoying me now.

Anyone have any experience with this TV or problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom