1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lipsync Prob's With Philips 42pf9946/12

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ScottishThistle, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I VE Just bought 2 philips 42PF9946/12 plasmas.

Both have bad lipsync problem, I.E - when watching tv pictures, the people on screen's voice's dont match thier mouth movments.
    This happens when viewing all types of streams, analog terestrial, ntl digital cable and also on dvd playpack.

I contacted philips and they are trying to say they'v never heard of this problem (liars in my opinion), the option they gave me was not to have them fix it but to return it to the store of purchase (curry's) and pick an entirley different tv made by a different manufacturer (i couldnt believe my ears)........ :rolleyes:
    Soooo, I contacted currys electrical and had them send an engineer to confirm the problem, he came and confirmed the problem and told me I can go pick another tv , "I DONT WANT ANOTHER TV !!!" I told them, all I want is this one working the way it is supposed to work with the lipsync fixed.....They say they cant fix it and advise me to go pick another tv, BUT, iam sticking to my guns :mad: I want to keep this tv as I think for the money its about one of the best tv's you can get, it looks great, performs great (apart from lipsync), I couldnt ask for much more....I even went and looked at some of the tv's in store but to be honest, they all looked crappy compared to the 9946 (my opinion).

Anyway, iam trying to find out if anyone else has the same tv and the same lipsync problems and what course of action they took ?

Iam sitting here twiddling my thumbs with 2 plasma tv's that cost best part of £4000 and arent working properley, I dont agree that people should have to live with a problem like this, if that was the case I would be better buying a cheap £40 tv from asda/walmart and watching that, at least it would work without a lipsync problem :mad:

Please send any reply's a.s.a.p.

Cheers :beer:

2. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shame, coz I nearly bought on the merits of the PQ, in store - until I found AV Forums!

3. sisko

sisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I had a similar problem with my Panasonic 37PW7.

The soulution was to buy a new amp with a sound delay feature. I got a Yamaha DSP-AX750 for £349 in RS which has this feature and it has corrected the problem.

You can buy a device (www.felston.com) that you can install in the audio path to do the same thing. This would be cheaper than buying a new amp, but I don't know what the audio quality is like.

4. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But with lip synch issues, the lips move before the sound arrives? Is that the right take on the situation? If so, a sound delay is only going to exacerbate the problem?

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    its the other way round the sound is processed before the image

6. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    wait a minute though, surley people shouldnt have to go buy a tv at say "£3000" and then have to buy an amp to correct a problem with the tv, that doesnt sound right ???

7. EL DOONUS

EL DOONUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the 37" version on Friday and only had it on for a few hours as the room is not ready for it yet.Had sky digital connected via scart and this problem was clearly visible on most channels.Also picture quality varied between awesome and downright terrible depending on what was being viewed.Didn't have time to make adjustments and it's now back in it's box awaiting room readyness.Agree that cosmetically it's a cracking set but the picture quality generally seemed much worse than my JVC 28" widescreen.In truth I was a bit disappointed but will wait till it's on the wall and I've mucked about with settings before condemning it fully.

:confused:

8. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ive got a dvd surround sound system to try and combat this lipsync issue.

Am I best to use A/V leads and connect the sound from the tv sound outputs or am I better to use the sound direct from the cable digy box, ive got it connected just now with the scart direct from the digy box and I can adjust the audio delay on the sound system, it seem ok sometimes but then I can goto other channels etc and the lipsync is there agian and I need to readjust the sound delay :(
    Surley this cant be right having to adjust sound delay etc all the time ????