Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

lipsync issue on DTS but not on DD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by mikeq, Mar 5, 2003.

1. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Don't have my plasma using component inputs yet, waiting for cable to be delivered.

So setup at the moment is

Video side
    DV88+ through TiVo (RGB scart) - TiVo through RGB to JSTech RGB/VGA box - JSTech RGB/VGA box to VGA input on plasma.

Audio side
    DV88+ coax digital out to digital input on AVR200.

On DV88+ setup for Audio is Bitstream and the sampling thingy set to 96 (from memory, not sure if 96 is the correct value for my Receiver couldn't find any info in the manual on this)

Played 'Enemy At The Gates' to test DTS and DD, Region 2.

AVR200 correctly switches to DTS or DD depending on which is selected from the DVD menu.

When on DTS there is very noticable lipsync problems, when on DD there are no lipsync problems.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts.... Don't use DTS. :D

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    mikeq

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, if you have enabled DTS digital output on the DVD player you should not need to to do anything with the audio settings provided that the amp is capable of decoding DTS signals. Are you sure everything is correctly set up / connected at the amp's end?

4. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi mikeq,

I found a similar issue when watching Scorpion King with a DV88 and a Denon AVR-3801 amp. Both DTS and DD were pretty terrible with regards to lip sync but DTS had a much more noticeable delay than DD.

Now that I've got the AVR-3803 I can, of course, change the delay appropriately :D

Derek

5. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Costas,

I'm not sure if I have things setup properly :confused: pretty new to this but, I'm sure that when the DVD player wasn't on Bitstream that the Receiver didn't detect that DD or DTS was being output and it was in Pro Logic giving me the ability to toggle through all of different Pro Logic modes such as PLII Movie, PLII Music, etc etc. With the Bitstream on the receiver detects DD or DTS and sticks to this (i.e. I cannot toggle through the different PL modes).

I'll try Bitstream off and selecting DTS on the disc to see if the receiver picks it up.

DJP,

Did you use Component outputs for the video signal at the time you saw the problems? It'll be interesting to see if I get DD lipsync issues once I have Component connected using PS rather than RGB/VGA.

Mike

6. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Mike,

Yes, I was using Component out of the DV88. However, I have the DV88 rather than the DV88+ so there may be a difference. I'm currently checking out dealers to try to find the one which will provide the fastest upgrade to PS. :rolleyes:

With regards to the output, if using a digital link between the player and the Amp, then on my set-up you can play either DTS or DD (depending on the one selected from the Scorpion King Menu).

With either set I can then use the Denon surround modes Widescreen, Stadium etc. However, I cannot choose Pro Logic.

If the Scorpion King Menu is set to DD then I can still switch to the analogue connection between the DVD and the Amp. I can then get the PLII output. However, if the Scorpion King Menu is set to DTS then there is no analogue output.

Changing the DVD setup to output Stereo PCM rather than Bitstream will output PLII if the Scorpion King Menu is set to DD but will still output DTS if the Scorpion King Menu is set to DTS.

There may be some differences in what you can achieve as you have a different Amp but I hope that the above helps a little.

Derek
    PS You can, of course, use whatever DVD with DTS you like to check this. I just used Scorpion King as an example.

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    mikeq

I agree with everything DJP has said above particularly on the Amp comments. I am using the earlier Denon AVR-3801 and without the 3803 feature I do not get any noticeable lipsync problems with DTS which is my preferred format. I do not have an Arcam player either. I use the Pioneer DV-757Ai. From the comments so far, I think any potential issue will have to do with the amp. I am sure someone or a few people here must have an identical or very similar set up to yours and perhaps they can help you further.

8. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi both,

thanks for the replies. Stereo PCM is what I had set initially (mus t be the default), and the amp was only doing PLII output (and all of the variations on this). I don't think the AVR200 has things like Widescreen, Stadium etc for DD or DTS.

As I said I am pretty new to this and don't have a view on wether DD is better than DTS or vice versa as this is my first surround sound setup.

It was purely by mucking around with the different bits I noticed this. I suppose my main reason for asking was is there extra processing required for DTS that is making it slower to hit the speakers (I'm trying to remember if the image was in front of the sound) or is DD requiring extra processing which is making it in time with the delayed image being displayed on the Plasma (de-interlacing processing etc).

I'll need to have a look again tonight to see if the DTS sound came before the image. In which case it will be DD that is being delayed, I think:confused: