1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LIP880 NW-HD5 battery - rechargeble separately?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, Aug 9, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Today I received an e-mail from Sony which included the following paragraph about the replacement battery for the NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H.

"Keep listening for longer with the LIP880 rechargeable and removable battery, which offers 40 hours of STAMINA battery life. What’s more, the LIP880 is easy to recharge with built-in USB and AC jack points. And because these lithium ion batteries are interchangeable you can double or even triple your battery life."

Surely that does not mean the battery has its own charging ports as it implies?

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

Remember we are not talking about the original battery but the off the shelf replacement one.

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I got that email too Keanos and wondered about it. looked on sonystyle but no info there yet, as far as I could see. Would seem odd to be able to charge the batt only, surely they mean it can be charged in the HD5 via either USB or AC jack, no? Would be good if they're speaking plainly and honestly for once and it was true though, eh.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,085
    It would be useful to have a battery that could charge separately, I've got 2 batteries for my mobile phone but can't charge them separate to the phone and it's a pain. If this is chargeable on it's own then you could have 2 batteries for your player that you could just swap out when on a long trip with no charging facilities - I do this with my old ipaq.

4. Gethin

Gethin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but it is pretty obvious that a battery would not have a usb connection. So what sony is talking about is the ways of charging the hd5.

A more realistic hope for the future would be a battery charger (like you can get for normal rechargable batteries).

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Keanos - a somewhat deceptively ambiguous choice of words from Sony. But I can confirm that this replacement battery is NOT self charging. There are pics of it dotted about the web; one place has been selling it for a while (forget where), and Amazon have had it available for order for weeks, though with a wait of 1-2 weeks for delivery. In short, it's exactly the same battery as in your HD5, and it's only through the player that it can be charged.

6. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe they will release some sort of dock. My iRiver H10 has a dock so you can charge the player and the battery at the same time.

7. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There's no connected for a dock.. unless you turn the hd5 upside down

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,085
    I'd love to see someone come out with something like the cradle for my ipaq pda, where you can charge the pda and a spare battery at the same time.

9. Hooters

Hooters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first post on here (although have been loitering a while!). I have the HD5 and love it, have already wired it into my car stereo with the ridiculously expensive lead but it is nice to have control and track title/artist info on the head unit!

Anyway... it's rather heath robinson but it is possible to charge batteries out of whatever device with the aid of a couple of leads with crocodile clips, two nails and a small piece of wood. Use to charge a spare mobile battery that way, doesn't look very neat but it works!