Lip synching??

OctaviaN

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question regarding the term "Lip synching".
What is it?
And why should I fork out loads on a large screen if this is to be an issue? Technology is supposed to improve on the old :(

Im scrawling the net reading up and learning all there is to know about HD and large screen technology before I take the plunge and purchase, currently looking at a 42pv500 or maybe 50"(although a little out of budget atm)

(I was looking through a home cinema magazine near the back and saw a device for sale which would cure the "lip synching" problem, I would imagine by allowing you to specify in milliseconds or whatever the delay time of voice audio.)

Typically it is where the processing of the picture takes slightly longer than the processing of the sound so that video is behind audio. So many factors seem to effect it that its impossible to say whether you might suffer it until you are set up....but of course the more devices between source and screen the more likely it is. Sky seems to be the worse offender but sometimes just switching off and on will get rid. I use an amp with sound delay and just leave it at around -60ms. This is sufficient to cure any probs and doesn't seen to cause probs where there is no lip sync issue.

OctaviaN said:
Im scrawling the net reading up and learning all there is to know about HD and large screen technology before I take the plunge and purchase, currently looking at a 42pv500 or maybe 50"(although a little out of budget atm)

Panasonic Helpdesk told me that the PV500 would be round about 60ms behind the sound due to the processing.

I set those 60ms but I seem to be unable to spot wether it's 0ms or 60ms... it's a very small delay and I tend to leave it just at the default (0ms delay).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom