Lip synch problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Chris OH, May 30, 2003.

1. Chris OH

Chris OH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

What a PITA :mad:. I have noticed a lip synch problem when watching DVD. The people on the screen are doing a very good imitiation of a badly dubbed Hong Kong action flick.

I am running RGB signals via scart from a Toshiba 100E to an Hitachi plasma screen and a coaxial digital audio signal to a Yamaha DSPE 800 processor. Lots of separate power amps but I suspect they have nothing to do with this.

Is this a common problem and what can I do?

Regards

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Replace with Yamaha E800 with a AV amp that has audio delay, ie Denon 3803.

The Plasma is the cause of the delay.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    's right.

Any progressive scanning device -- e.g. plasma, LCD, deinterlacer, scaler -- will have the same problem. Old interlaced technology doesn't have this problem.

Alterative to Nathan's suggestion, is considering upgrading your DVD player to a progressive scan one. Many models have audio delay built in, and it'll give you an even better picture on your plasma.

StooMonster

4. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Stand well back from the screen, as far back as you can go, far enough away so that you can't actually see peoples lips on the screen.
    Voila - problem solved.

Alternatively I have read a recent study from MIT into the very same issue. They have concluded that some panels emit so much radiation and infra-red that it can actually effect the left side of the brain (or was it the right) which processes signal inputs from the sides of your head. This can result in a slight delay of between 2-4 frames - the time taken for your radiated brain to process these waves of euphoria.

My last suggestion and personally I think a bit of a long shot but I agree with StooMonster and Nathan_Silly, something needs upgrading/replacing, either a processor that has audio delay or a descent progressive scan player.

Try my first suggestion first, it's gotta be the cheapest and quickest.

RAMiAM IamRAM :D