1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip Synch issues

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Wilster, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning folks

I've been playing around for a while now to try and get audio and video synched right for DVD playback and Im not having an awful lot of luck.

Hardware spec:

HTPC

Athlon XP 1700+
    384Mb PC133
    MSI KM266 mATX mobo (thats an old via chipset but with a USB2 south bridge) , internal audio and legacy ports all disabled
    Laptop hdd drive and dvd drive as theyre extremely quiet!
    Radeon 9000 non pro
    inno3d audio extreme 5.1 for optical spdif pass thru
    nebula digitv

Software:
    WinXP all patched up
    Sonic Cineplayer
    PowerDVD5
    Reclock
    AC3Filter
    Zoomplayer

Both AC3 via passthru and analogue are out of synch for DVD playback using any combination of filters/renderers in Zoomplayer. Some DVDs are worse than others, but have yet to find a pattern. Pausing and restarting doesnt help.

Last night I took apart my main PC to see if moving to Intel might help.

Spec:
    p4 1.6a
    abit bd7-II (i845 chipset), all legacy ports turned off
    PCI Latency set to 0 (read somewhere it might help)
    512Mb DDR
    radeon 9000
    inno3d audio extreme
    or
    aureal 3d soundcard (doesnt work in the Via chipset mobo)

Still having problems having moved to Intel - it is better, and more consistant, but still not perfect. Some of my DVDs on this hardware are perfect, so adding an audio delay in ac3filter only makes it wrong for the ones that are working DVDs! Is it just that the producers of DVDs are at fault here in being too lazy to do things properly, or is there some magic wand I can wave at this to make my sych probs go away? In particular looking at PAL Blade2, the synch was out enough to be really irritating. Any ideas welcome!

2. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well someone out there might want to know... or you all know already and just wanted to keep me guessing. NTSC DVDs seem fine. PAL DVDs can be iffy, if you look closely and expect it to be perfect. Some PAL disks are fine tho. The via chipset system is awful as with things that are very slightly out on a standalone player or the Intel chipset machine can be seconds out of synch. Looks to me like people arent paying enough attention to PAL DVD releases... If anyone out there disagrees with me and has a fix for this please let me know!!!

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never encountered a problem with a Via KT333 chipset m/board. Been using it for well over a year now - no lip sync issues.

Can't really offer an explanation, but you're really complicating things with reclock/sonic/power dvd5 etc.. installed. I'd suggest getting stable playback on just one player initially before introducing extra filters/complexities.

:smoke:

4. Wilster

Wilster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. It was the problems I was having with just using Sonic that got me started on this quest - the pic quality was just superb, but out of synch audio was awful! Its random on this KM266 system too, sometimes u can boot up and have a perfectly in synch film, other times its 2-3 seconds out. I think its a problem with this mobo, rather than anything else, as Ive now tried the DVDs in a standalone and seen the same synch issues - so the Intel kit is playing it as it should be. It is VERY slight, but when you're looking for perfection, its enough to irritate. Im gonna give the AMD kit to my brother in law for Xmas, so no major loss to swap out for Intel, especially as I intend on getting an Maudio card and Ive read bad things about the Revo 7.1 and AMD. Very much looking forward to a Prj of some sort to watch this all on, but Ive gotta choose one now!