1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip Synch - I need to speed the audio up NOT delay it.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Boozyuzi, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've just got a Yamaha RX-V1500 AV amp and it has audio delay on it. I am using it with a widescreen Toshiba CRT telly. I am getting lip synch problems and it appears to be the picture that needs a delay NOT the audio. This is happening with Sky+ and DVD's. The problem isn't huge but once I've noticed it it is then hard to ignore.

Anyone got any tips on how to sort it out ?

Would it help if I route my picture through the amp instead of connecting straight from DVD and Sky+ to TV with Scart leads

2. philthyanimal

philthyanimal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably wrong, but i don't see how you could speed the audio up. You'd actually need to delay the picture, and as far as i know this can't be done.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    If your DVD player does progressive scan, use it.
    The extra time de-interlacing the video image is often the reason audio delay is needed.
    If you need to speed up the audio, then not delaying it will have the same effect.

Of course if your player can't do progressive scan, then I can't think of any other way to achieve it.

4. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Yamaha because i needed a 60 ms audio-delay to suit my TV. But i think my Yamaha (650) has a delay of approx. 50 ms (20-70) even with delay sett to 0. But not in pure direct mode. Maybe all digital surround-amplifiers has some delay, even in the front-channels? A perfect solution to the problem of delayed sound is to buy a digital TV!

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    How does that solve the problem? :confused:

Its the digital TV broadcast thats often the problem. Watching it on an integrated digital TV will not correct a broadcast that is out of sync.

My suggestion with DVD does actually work if your DVD player is capable of it, but with broadcasts your stuffed.

6. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital TVs has delayed picture, at least 50 ms (because of deinterlacing etc). That's one of the reasons many newer AV-amplifiers has this audio-delay or "lip-sync" feature.

7. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Btw; digital TVs are plasmas, lcds, most projectors etc.