Lip sync

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bat-man, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Just a thought.
    Is there any gizmo out there where you can plug your HDMI lead into it and then another HDMI lead to the TV and you can adjust the sound delay? Not a 'full blown' amp.
    Also - I hope, with all the picture processing involved with 1080p scan on the up-coming HD players, that the lip sinc won't be rearing it's head again.

2. stumpy77

stumpy77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im a bit of a noob to all this av setup but would the lip sync still occur if you used a hdmi cable to the tv plus either an optical or coaxial cable to the amp and have the sound thru a surround system . Reason for asking is im looking a various players but im put off by lip sync issues however I will mostly listen to dvds thru my amp.

3. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Sorry, and another newbie question here :blush:

Is the lip synch problem only noticeable on hdmi connections or can component display it as well?

Thanks.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to know the cause(s) of lipsync problems and how to get rid of them, hopefully before my next upgrade.

Anyone know if this problem has been solved for the upcoming HD movies?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Hello all

Lip-sync occurs when you introduce any advanced Video processing to your system (which takes a few milliseconds to undertake depending on what processes your running) but don't delay the Audio by the same degree.

If your DVD player is capable of Outputting a Progressive Video signal it should introduce a delay to the Audio stream to keep it in sync with the Video stream - though not all DVD players keep things as tight as you would like and some simply ignore this problem.

Lip-sync is most obvious when you separate your Audio and Video signal paths taking Audio to an AV Receiver and the Video direct to a Display - it doesn't matter if your using Composite, S-Video, Component Video or a DVI/HDMI connection they can all go out of sync.

Many modern AV Receivers now have an inbuilt facility that enables you to add a user adjustable Audio delay so if you do see/hear problems you can rectify things.

If your AV Receiver or Amplifier doesn't have this facility then the likes of Felston have Digital Audio Delays you can insert between the Audio out on your source and your AV Receiver or Amp - though you'll need to convert any Analogue Audio signals to Digital before they go through the Felston delay.

HDMI will be problematic if your planning on using it for a single cable Audio + Video connection to your TV or AV Receiver and your TV or AV Receiver lacks the ability to add a delay to the incoming signal - in these systems if you do see/hear problems you would be better using HDMI for Video only and run a separate Audio cable through an external delay.

If you are installing your first 'large screen' TV you'll also begin to see that some broadcasts are not 100% in-sync so even where you have a 'global' delay setting in your system you will want a user adjustable delay mode that you will use from time to time to resolve problems with certain programmes.

Lip-sync is not new in terms of AV and Video Production - its simply not raised its head in consumer land in the past when we all had relatively small interlaced CRT TV's; though if you go looking for it you can see it even when viewing a broadcast signal on a 14" portable.

It also has to be said that some folk see/hear this problem very acutely and some folk seem oblivious to it.

Best regards

Joe

6. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    All the post I read about Lip Sync problems relate to delaying the audio to match the video signal, I have a number of dvd's which appear to have the reverse problem, video ahead of audio. Is there a device available to delay the video signal or perhaps a audio device with +/- settings.

Barry