1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip sync ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lukassk, Jun 22, 2005.

1. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any one have the same problem ?? When I am playing almost any movie, picture on the screen is a bit ahead of sound. I tought that lip sync error is when sound is ahead of picture, then you can use some feature on AV reciever or other special device to delay sound. How to get rid of this problem ???

2. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have only ever had the problem with sky on my old crt set. You can get delay boxes that will adjust, some good amps also have the feature built in.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    One word - FELSTON

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    hold up, just re-read your post. Picture *ahead* of sound??? What display and source (connection?) are you using? Do you get it with all sources or just the one?

5. notsosure

notsosure
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same thing, pictures ahead of sound on dvds. Thought it was my cheap and nasty DVD player (connected via scart to Samsung CRT).

Thought a more expensive setup would solve the problem (am looking at PWD7) but it seems even if you splash the cash there are still problems (DVD volume / lip sync / noisy fans / artefacts etc). I feel like giving up with it sometimes!!

6. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam??

one phrase: "Dil connect it up, ya lazy sod!" :devil:

7. notsosure

notsosure
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey dilsher, nice setup.

do you have to make adjustments every time you watch a dvd to get the best out of it, ie sound, picture, lip sync? or is it only if you are a perfectionist?

its just that i would be ****** off if i bought all that and then needed to buy a felston just for dvds to be watchable. im hoping a pwd7 with an amp, progressive dvd and canton cd1s will do the trick, as i am not fussy do you reckon that will do? or once ive started down the home cinema road is there no turning back!

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    notsosure mate

Really all depends on how good your link wiv av amp is etc..and set up!

On mine i only need to use it for a few Sky channels but never for DVD .

DVD is perfect wiv one memory..but its all so easy to adjust frm your chair via the remote if channels are all different !!!

The Felston is worth the money as its a signal issue not a plasma issue

9. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, I asked Panasonic about this and they told me that the Panny PV500 delays around 60ms.

I think you can spot it quite easily though 60ms isn´t a huge delay.

10. notsosure

notsosure
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers dilsher

11. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am using denon 1910 via dvi cable ( good quality one Cambridge). My plasma is Nec VR5 ( very pleased with PQ :thumbsup: ) This bug doesnt bother me so much but my girl friend is complaining all the time. Sometimes its all right for some part of the movie but then its happens again. As I said before the picture is few frames ahead of sound not other way around, so Felston wont ma ke any difference in this case.

12. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    lukassk

Just to clarify, you say the picture is ahead of the sound.

The normal lip sync problem is the sound being ahead of the picture. This is because it takes longer to process the picture than it does the sound. This is what the AV delays and the Felston attempt to address.

But your problem is the other way round so an AV delay or Felston will just make matters worse.

I see your problem (picture ahead of sound) quite often but only on Sky. What's more it varies from day to day and channel to channel so there is not a lot you do even if you had means to delay the picture because amount of delay changes so often.

Cheers,

Nigel

13. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nigel -

Yes !!! I can see that you understand my problem. That is true this error varies form dvd to dvd, even when I am playing same dvd sometimes it is not so apparent. Me thinks that it have something to do with picture processing on dvd player, when I am setting output to 720p problem is more noticable than on regural progressive scan. I will try another DVD player (Yamaha) via component maybe that will make any diffrence. I was just thinking, if that will be a problem with dvd player, anyone knows any shop who let me demo player at my home before I will buy anything ?? ( maybe Sevenoaks S&V ) ???

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    7oaks do if they have a demo model (i had their 2910 for about 5 weeks before i bought one).......you have to pay for it but they'll give you the dosh back if you don't like it.

15. notsosure

notsosure
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats worrying lukassk as i was hoping decent kit would eradicate the problem. i was considering the denon 1910, maybe i'll just stick with a limit 900se via component.

i get exactly what you decscribe, on DVDs not sky, and it varies on different DVDs as well as through the film. I use rental DVDs but dont see how that can be the problem. It'll be interesting to see what you find from your Yamaha via component

cheers

16. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've just purchased my first amp - Cambridge Azur 540R to go with my PV500. Should I be concerned that it doesn't have an audio delay function? :(

17. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +142