Lip sync

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by DustySox, Oct 8, 2004.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Watching Sky+ tonight I have noticed a bad lip sync problem. This was very evident with Sky news. Has anybody else noticed this, and how did you resolve this problem.? It's like a dripping tap and driving me nuts :mad:

Kind regards

Darren

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Yeah.. I've noticed this much more than normal on my V1 Sky+ box over the last few days.
    Sometimes it looks like its at least half a second out, but then it catches up again. It drifts in and out like a yoyo.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have also noticed thsi and must say that in my experience Sky News is one of the worst channels for lip sync errors.
    I have a processor with variable audio delay so can use that to try to correct the errors, but as mentioned the delay does change throughout a program so I don't normally bother. If it gets too bad I change to another channel. Also if I adjust the audio delay for Sky News then it is wrong for all the other channels and has to be set back, so in general I just avoid Sky News.

Mark.

4. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think its anything to do with SKY+ as such. I get it on both original Sky and Pace digiboxes. Plus, if I switch to a different region to watch the same news, say North East instead of London, one might have a time shift between audio and video and the other not. And watching both regions on different TV's there is an overall time shift of anything up to several seconds though both might have accurate lip sync. Dodgy !

luggsie

5. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I have just spoken to Sky (for the "little" help they were) about lip sync problem. They took me through a reset, which involved putting box into standby, and unplugging from the mains and leaving for two mins. Then I was told to plug back into the mains (Sky box that is, not me!!) and again leave for two mins. After speaking to a customer reprosentitive I was then put on to some one else, who tried to finger the blame at tv, booster boxes etc. When I informed her that I had two boxes, she reigned herself to the fact that she had noticed it her box at home.

She then advised me that they "were looking into it". When I askwould I be advised as and when the problem would be resolved I was told no, as it would be an update to my box.

Nice, to pay for a service that don't work very well! Wish I could get away with it in my job as easy!!!!!!

Regards

Darren

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A few things worth considering....

Not everyone has the problem.
    Those that do may not be aware of it, lip sync like 50hz flicker is very subjective.
    SKY has not control over other broadcasters, errors in sync caused by less than perfect encoding can not be fixed by SKY receivers. Pionner had the same problem with a number of their DVD players a few years ago.
    Some people have more exotic displays which due to extra video processing which can cause the video to lose sync with the audio.

Now personally I think the CS was talking a load of b******s, I do not belive there is a system wide failing in the mpeg decoder which can be fixed by an update since a lot of the problems will come from external sources. There may be a bad batch of boxes out there similar to the PACE soft focus issue and it might be constructive to create a poll and find out what models/versions show this error on a regular basis and which do not and then see if there is a corollation in signal strengths/quality which might be putting a strain on the tuners error correction and subsequently the decoders input data.

Bottom line, any service that doesn't provide the standard you expect doesn't deserve your money.