1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip sync question with Sky

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve36, Dec 18, 2003.

1. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had just purchased a high end amplifier and then checked on these forums and found it did not have audio delay.
    When I phoned the hi-end hi-fi dealer they told me that audio delay would not resolve any lip-sync issues on my plasma. They have checked with Panasonic and a Sky engineer who has told them that the vision and sound are transmitted separately, and that the problem is caused by the video being in front of the sound.

I would have accepted that the Sky+ box had issues when playing back and decrypting from the hard disk, but this has not been suggested.

edit: The lip sync issue vary greatly from program/channel to channel on Sky. Some channels are ok.

This is the first time that I have heard this theory, what does anyone else think.

I believe that the dealer actually believes this to be true !

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only ever niticed lip sync with the audio before the video and definitely not the other way round.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sky is a complete mess wrt lip sync - with a receiver with audio delay, I can't always resolve the issue, as your dealer suggested sky video is often ahead of the audio. However he is not entirely right, sometimes the audio is ahead of the video and this can be resolved by adjusting the master delay on the receiver.

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am very sensitive to lip sync and sky + is at its worst with live sport, especially rugby league

regards

richard

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    fatrich
    Strange, I thought that you would'nt see the players mouths moving or see the commentators during live sport.

Wilber,
    Thanks for the reply, I thought I could see that sky in front occasionally, but thought it must be my imagination especially when other forum members have not mentioned it.

One resolution to both problems would be to put a scaler in, so guaranteeing that the sound will be in advance of the picture.

Do you think that in the majority of cases audio delay will fix this ?
    Also is 200ms enough delay ?

Thanks,
    Steve.

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    What rubbish from your AV dealer, IMO he just doesn't want you take back the "high end amplifier". Audio delay always fixes problems with lip sync, it's because the picture is trailing the sound not the other way round as they suggest; rarely have a heard such rubbish.

However, as you point out programmes and even segments in programs have different delay issues; this is the fault of the broadcasters. On interlaced and smaller CRTs this hasn't really been noticed in the past, but with large progressive displays (like plasma) it is apparent.

Futhermore, the digital processing technology involved to make a progressive scan picture -- be it the plasma's iternal deinterlacer, or a deinterlacer (e.g. iScan Ultra), or a scaler (e.g. Lumagen) -- will compound this problem by adding a few more milliseconds delay.

Solution is fourfold:
    1. buy an amp with a built in delay -- for just such issues -- like Arcam or Denon. Excellent solution because it works with digital signal from Sky+.
    2. buy an audio delay unit -- e.g. a guitar effect unit -- but this is limited to analogue sound, and may mess up matrix effects (Dolby Pro Logic) and limit you to stereo
    3. buy a digital audio delay unit -- e.g. Vigatec Wave @ £1,000 -- or wait for the much rumoured cheaper versions from competitors. Works just like option 1 above.
    4. Ignor it. Many channels have got much better and have almost no issues these days, perhaps the others will follow and it will be a non issue.

As for the delay length in milliseconds, I suggest you use the search function this forum as many people have posted their settings in the past.

StooMonster

7. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks Stoomonster,
    I agree with your solutions, but was hoping to buy an A11SR.
    Unfortunately the current (old) version does not have audio delay, so I'll have to wait a while.

I did perform a search in the plasma forum and did'nt find much, I then checked the SKY+ forum and there was all the information I needed.

Strange how 'LIVE' transmissions have issues more often than old taped programs.

Steve.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Lip sync could be fixed with DVDO iScan HD http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108898

I guess realtime encoding and decoding of live sound for BBC etc must present some syncing difficulties; particularly if it's also converting NTSC to PAL in realtime, e.g. interview live from USA.

StooMonster