1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lip sync problems with dvds

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jamesb, Mar 12, 2002.

1. jamesb

jamesb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i've noticed "lip sync" problems in a few dvd's.
    hannibal - dts - i notice the problem not too far into the film.
    snatch - dd5.1 - about half way through the film.
    i switched to the dvd menu and back to the film for snatch
    and i went back a chapter for hannibal and after this, i
    didn't notice the lip sync problems.
    not really got a question or saying anything important!
    just wondering if it's common, a disk or player problem?
    i use a playstation2 with a h/k3000 amp.

2. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also get lip-synch problems with parts of some discs. I seem to notice it more on DTS soundtracks - try switching the audio while the disc is running. I don't know whether the fault is in the mastering or whether it is the DVD player or decoder in my amp not up to the job. Anybody got any ideas?

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Used to get problems, Saving Private Ryan, Sixth Sense etc. Only seems to happen about one in 50 these days (always part way through a film). Stop and play always cures it.

Sony 725 DVD.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    JamesB,

One of the problems that is probably causing your "lip synch" issue, is probably down to the fact that you're using a PS2 games machine.

Putting it mildly, whilst a PS2 can play DVD's, it won't be able to handle some of the DTS soundtracks, because it doesn't have the capabilities of many, more modern standalone DVD players, to read the amount of information that can keep up the audio and visual information in synch. (I hope that makes sense!) :)

Try the problematic discs on a DVD player, and see if they persist. If the discs work okay, then you know it's the PS2's fault. If the problems continue, then you may need to check the DVD's, as being faulty.

That is, unless anyone else can tel me or JamesB otherwise...?

Pooch

5. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I'm not sure that it's the PS2 that's the problem. I have seen horrible lip-synch issues with higher end Pioneer players (7x7), whereas the same disk played perfectly on a Wharfedale from Tesco. I still haven't heard an adequate explanation of why this happens.

I have a Yamaha 796 (based on a Panny 160), and this has a noticable problem with Lock Stock (DC) , and the orginal (single disk) This Is Spinal Tap is unwatchable inplaces, due to synch problems. It's not one of the best players, and it's pretty long in the tooth now, but it wasn't exactly a budget option either.

6. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    There was a problem with the PS2. A friend of mine had one and it suffered from really bad lipsync.

He kept pestering Sony and they in turn kept fobbing him off telling him to change various audio settings (none of which helped).

Eventually Sony admitted that there was a software issue (corrected in current machines) and exchanged his machine. The one he has now is fine.

Take one of your discs into a shop and try it on a current PS2. If it seems OK pester Sony to do something / change your machine.

7. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Has anyone else apart from me noticed a lipsync prob with legaly blond R2? or is mine just faulty?

8. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    older pioneer players used to have really bad lip sync problems but as far as i know they were sorted out around the time the 525 and 625 players came out.
    and the ps2 does have lip sync problems (not to mention pictuer and sound quality problems) it's just lucky for them it has so many great games or it would be a waste of 200 quid!
    i watched legally blonde last week on a panasonic A160 with no lip sync issues.