1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip sync problem with Hitachi.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leamspaceman, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    After finally getting my replacement Hitachi 42PD5200 I am once again perplexed and feeling a little deflated. Just got it out the box, set it up, and I've discovered the following problems.

I am finding that there is a lip sync problem with the set. It's the same on analogue and freeview via RGB. When switching to a channel the sync is fine but within seconds it goes out of sync and gets progressively worse. Any ideas?

Also, I have a couple of pixels that are not firing. When the screen is white they appear as dots on the screen. When the screen is red however (as in BBC3 before they go on air, very red!!!) the pixels are fine and there is no gap.They appear to be 'flickering' slightly too. They are very noticeable. Will they repair themselves?

And I have my PS2 connected via Ixos component cables. The PS2 menu screen is pretty stunning, but when I watch a DVD there is a vertical 'veiled' effect over the picture. It looks like a transparent set of curtains!!! It makes watching a DVD via the PS2 impossible. The leads said they were for attaching PS2 to an AV amp but surely they are fine going straight into the TV. Would this problem go away if I routed through my amp instead? Can't see it myself.

Does all this mean I am going to have to return this set too? I really cannot believe this.

Are these problems something I can cure? Is it because it's a new set and needs to 'warm-up'?

Please, any help would be really welcome.

2. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Any ideas on the above anyone?

3. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It has been reported that the 5200 arn't very good via their built in tuner.
    The PS2 lead you are using is an unknown quantity.
    However if you play a DVD via an RGB scart and the picture is still bad, you may have a problem, or it may not been adjusted properly.

4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    If you're getting lipsynch problems using the internal tuner and it's own speakers, then I would say you have definitely got cause to have it looked at. Lipsynch delays with sound coming out through a surround system etc can be a problem with some digital displays, but should not be present through the manufacturers own kit.

Sounds like you've got dead pixels. Other members have reported that they can 'unstick' themselves after a while, but no guarantees. Whether they are covered under warranty usually depends on where they are on the screen (central etc.). Who did you buy from? If it was online, you could return quick under the 7 day rule etc.

Can't help on the PS2 thing. Shouldn't be a problem. Have seen other members using this connection method.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Not that it's much help but I've just got a 5200 and before that a 42PD3000 and the only problems I've ever had with lip sync were with recordings (Sky+) or ITV programmes. Other than that I've never noticed problems with Sky+ (via Scart) or via DVD player (component).

As for the pixels, I did get a row of about 10 pixels get stuck on the 42PD3000 but they unstuck themselves after a while.

John

6. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    I've tried S-Video from my PS2 and that is fine. Looks like I've blown £30 on a PS2 component lead that just doesn't work.

Any more ideas about the lip sync. It seems to have got a bit better now, but still not perfect. And the pixels are still stuck after the set being on all afternoon.

This is seriously doing my head in. I'm feeling hugely let down after spending so much cash. I bought it online so can send it back if I want, worried though as this is my second set so the retailer may get a bit arsey.

7. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    So, are my pixels dead even though they appear to work when the screen is red? They are in the middle of the screen.

Really getting hacked off with the whole thing. I never had any problems with my 10-inch portable in twelve years!!! :confused: Maybe I should stick to that?

It's so annoying cos this Hitachi set has everything I want but it just doesn't seem up to the job at all?

8. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel - I have a Hitachi 37" and on paper it has everything - the right size, all the right inputs but I am so disappointed with the solarisation effect on moving images. Its a great screen - the PQ is spot on when the image is still... :-(

I can't say I have noticed any lipsync probs with it though.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help much

9. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Well, I've had enough. Still having probs this morning. A call to trading standards first to confirm that I can send the set back and have a full refund. Then a call to the retailer to tell them to come and pick up the damn thing.

I'll let you know how I get on.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Another Hitachi bites the dust then. I hate to seem obsessive about it, but they do seem to have less chance of customer satisfaction than other makes.

11. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    very happy with mine :rolleyes:

12. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not. I have had 3 5300's and they all buzzed to an unacceptable level. I sympathise completely as the set had everything I wanted, but I couldn't live with it. I am having a Panny PE30 delivered on Tuesday, just hope that one is OK.

13. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am, so far, a happy 37pd5200 owner. PQ is great even on moving images, xbox looks super slick (especially now its running in ntsc) sky is good (if i dont do thru my crappy panny dmr-e55). Had it for two weeks and will finally get round to tweaking the settings this weekend now its had a little time to settle down at pretty much stock levels.

Good luck tho with your sending it back, hope TS help you out as it is a lot of money to spend and because of this you expect it to be bob-on.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I hope TS don't have to help you out. Better for all concerned to get it done with good grace.

15. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    My supplier has agreed to take back my set but have said they will test it before issuing a refund. They are telling me that the faults will have to be above manufacturers tolerances. If they are not, and I don't take the set back they will charge me a 25% 're-stocking' fee. This would work out to £583. So what are manufacturers tolerances? They are not laid down anywhere in writing. I have a background in automotive component testing and I know alot about specifications and how they are put together. These guys (Hitachi included) don't have a clue. Trading standards say that you are allowed to notify a company that you don't want the goods within seven working days of receipt, and are entitled to a full refund, if goods are not damaged and are in original packaging. Also, I'm yet to pay the money to my credit card company and apparently I can withold payment and they will have to refund me and get the money from the supplier themselves. My credit card company are very good with this. They just refunded me £50 for a set I never even received!!! The company in question kept £50 of my money as they said it was a credit card 'processing' fee.

So, here is the letter I sent to my supplier. I did this to pre-empt any problems I may encounter. So read and let me know your thoughts.

On 28th July 2004 I finally received the television set I had ordered from you (Hitachi 42PD5200). This was supposed to have been delivered to me within 3-5 working days, as stipulated in your terms and conditions. In fact, the TV took 8 working days to arrive. I will come back to this.

I unpacked the set and set it up. Upon operating the set I was dismayed to find the following:

- There is a noticeable delay between the picture on-screen and the sound. This results in a noticeable lip-sync problem. The problem is via analogue TV input (i.e. aerial straight into the set) and via RGB scart from a freeview box. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes the sound and picture are in sync for periods of time and suddenly it goes out of sync again. The problem seems to be worse immediately after changing channels. There is no problem with my aerial connection or freeview box as when connected to other TV’s there is NO delay.
    - There are a number of pixels on the screen that do not work. These appear as ‘black dots’ on the screen. Due to the size of the screen these are very noticeable too. These are worse when viewing a lighter screen, particularly when the screen is all white. Some of the pixels fail intermittently, some are permanently failing.
    - There is quite a loud buzzing noise coming from the set. This changes when the screen changes. The whiter the screen, the louder the buzz. Within my flat, which is in a very quiet area, the buzzing can be heard above audio from the TV at lowish volumes. I have the TV on low volume at night as I have neighbours upstairs. Whilst I appreciate all TV’s buzz, the buzz on this set is unacceptable.
    - The TV was supplied with only a continental instruction manual. I had to go to the Hitachi website to download the UK instruction manual. This is simply not good enough.

I phoned you today (30th July) to report these faults.

Under distance selling regulations I am entitled to a full refund on the item, if I report the faults to you within seven working days of receipt of the item. This letter is evidence of such.
    I have been informed via my call to you today, that if there is no fault found with the item upon your inspection then I will be charged a 25% re-stocking fee on the item if I do not wish to have it back. Nowhere on your website terms and conditions is this 25% re-stocking fee mentioned. Neither is it mentioned in any of the paperwork I have received with the set, nor was it mentioned to me verbally prior to purchase.

I have contacted trading standards regarding this (trading standards case number 200339). I have been informed that I am entitled to a full refund on the item, within seven working day of receiving it, regardless of whether it is faulty or not. This is known as the ‘cooling-off’ period. I have been informed that if I make the goods available to you in their original packaging I am not liable to be charged the re-stocking fee I was informed of over the telephone. You would only be liable to charge me anything if I made the goods available to you in a non-sellable condition i.e. if I had damaged the unit. In fact, distance-selling regulations state that if you do not inform me of these rights then the cooling-off period is longer than seven days.

So, whatever the circumstances, I am entitled to a full refund on this item.

Here are the regulations, lifted directly from the trading standards website (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0051-1111.txt):

Your right to cancel, or the 'Cooling Off' period
    The Distance Selling Regulations give you the right to change your mind and cancel an order within seven working days. If you do decide to cancel, then you should put this in writing, either by letter (a proof of postage certificate or even recorded delivery would be wise) or you can fax or e-mail. A telephone call is not sufficient unless both you and the trader agree otherwise. The time limits are:
    For goods - seven working days after the day on which the goods are received
    For services - seven working days after the day on which you agreed to go ahead with the agreement
    If the trader has not provided you with the required information about your right to cancel, then the cooling-off period will be longer - take some advice on this, if necessary.
    You must take care of the goods whilst they are in your possession, and either return them or make them available for collection by the seller. The seller may charge you the cost of collecting the goods or you may have to pay the return postage - unless the goods were faulty in the first place.
    If you decide to return the goods within these time limits, you are entitled to expect your money to be refunded within 30 days. Also, if the seller had arranged a credit or hire purchase agreement for you, this should be cancelled automatically, and any deposits paid should be returned to you.
    What isn't covered by this Cooling Off period?
    · Services that are to be provided within 7 working days. If you have agreed that the service will start before the end of the cooling-off period you will not be entitled to cancel once the service has started, but the trader MUST tell you this in writing, otherwise you will be able to cancel (IMPORTANT: you might have other statutory cooling-off periods, depending on how the trader approached you, under the Consumer Credit Act or Doorstep Selling Regulations - get further advice if in doubt)
    · Goods made to your personal requirements or specifications (i.e. specially made furniture)
    · Goods which may deteriorate quickly, such as flowers or fresh food
    · Sealed audio or video recordings or computer software that have been opened
    · Betting, gaming or lottery services
    · Newspapers, periodicals or magazines

I am interested to know how you will ‘test’ the set for the faults, particularly the buzzing? How will you recreate the environment and acoustics of my lounge? How will you know the minimum volume levels I listen at? How do you know that the person(s) listening for the buzzing when you test it have the same level of hearing as I do? Everyone’s level of hearing is different. Do you do the test with a decibel meter? Is there a stipulated noise level deemed to be acceptable by you or Hitachi? If so, this noise level would require a written specification. There would need to be ‘background’ noise levels given. There would need to be a specified position away from the set for measuring noise. The noise would have to be measured using sensitive equipment in a ‘specified’ size of room with ‘standard’ types of wall covering, furnishings etc. I have seen NO specification for acceptable noise. You would need to produce this, and your results to justify the set was not at fault.

Regarding the late delivery of this item, you did not meet your obligation to supply the goods on time.
    - I requested the item, having already paid for the set, on 16th July 2004. I was told delivery would be within 3-5 working days.
    - I chased the item by phoning you on 20th July 2004.
    - I chased the item again by phoning you on 23rd July 2004. I made a call at 10:30am and was told I would receive a call back my midday. No call came. I called again at 3pm.
    - I received a call back from you on 23rd July 2004 at 3:25pm.
    - I received a call on 26th July confirming delivery on 28th July.
    Therefore, the item was received eight days after order, not 3-5 as you mentioned. I was offered no compensation to make up for the phone calls and time I had spent chasing your company, or for the sheer inconvenience of you failing to deliver on time.
    Therefore, I become quite cross when I call to report the item is faulty and you do not take my word on this. I am immediately quoted the 25% re-stocking fee if the item is not faulty. No apologies whatsoever for the way I have been messed around and for your poor service regarding delivery.
    All-in-all I am not happy with the situation all round.
    I now await a call to advise me as to when the faulty set will be collected. I am hopeful this will be soon and that my refund can be issued swiftly.
    I intend to purchase an alternative brand of plasma TV and there are other models you have in stock that I would be interested in. I am hopeful that if this problem is resolved promptly I will be in a position whereby I can consider purchasing an alternative set from you as soon as possible. Obviously, I do not want to go ahead with this until I have received the refund for this item.

Regards.....

16. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have done all the right things - it will be interesting to see how they respond...
    What a PITA you have had to endure. Good luck...

BTW are you willing to mention the supplier?

17. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Not at the moment!!!

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A very good letter, and one I hope never has to written to me! Fortunately I hardly ever do 'distance selling', it's a shame to have to start quoting trading standards, but their response to you in this case warrants it. It can still be resolved by them, I take it you'll be content if they do the right thing, even if a little late? What if they offer an alternative screen? I would, if I were in that position, but before I got that letter!

19. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as well I didn't use them to deliver my Hitachi 37" to Australia - now that would be termed 'distance selling'! or perhaps long distance selling... :)

Actually I'm still strongly considering returning or selling my Hitachi (bad solarisation) and upgrading to a Pioneer 43MXE1 - would you be willing to fly one over for me MAW? :)

20. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Actually, the retailer has been pretty good in this. They initially swapped my PD5300 for the PD5200 with little fuss (except for the late delivery). In doing so though they have, in my opinion, left themselves in a hole regarding the situation now. They took back the PD5300 after I had re-packed it and they have NOT charged me a re-stocking fee for that. Therefore, if they can take that set back and not charge me for it, then surely the same applies to the PD5200 I am returning. No difference except that they are losing the sale this time around as I would almost certainly not accept a replacement screen after learning of the superb deals at John Lewis et al. In fact I called JL today about a pricematch on the Pioneer PDP-434HDE. It is at leconcepts with tabletop stand and speakers for £3399.99 but with no 5 yr warranty.

http://www.leconcepts.com/plasma/Pioneer/piplasma4.htm#434hde

JL said that the pricematch should be OK because leconcepts actually have a store. They will only pricematch with retailers who have stores as well as trade online, not online only traders. The only stickpoint is whether the pricematch is too low. I await their phonecall back to me on this. I was very very impressed with JL (Solihull). They were very helpful and I think they already won me over.

So...just have to wait and see now. I'll be posting questions about the Pioneer soon.

By the way MAW, I see you are a retailer. Where are you based and which plasmas do you sell? You seem like a fair and reasonable kinda guy. Could I buy from you?

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm in Surrey, and am best known here for refusing to sell Hitachi, alis based panels of any make, or product from Korea. That leaves Pioneer, Panasonic, NEC and Fujitsu. I also like people to see and approve the plasma they buy under viewing conditions. That way, it's all clear cut. If you don't like the screen you get there must be something wrong with it, so it can be replaced. No, Australia is a bit far.... The MX1 is a terrific screen, go see one, Mr Angry. Personally I'm a keen panasonic and fujitsu man, but I have no quarrel with Pioneer. BTW spaceman, do you have digital TV, and if not, check your postcode on www.freeview.co.uk before deciding on a screen. You could get a Panasonic and a surround system for less than the cost of the Pioneer HDE, and prob chuck in an extended warranty too. Freeview or sky for TV tuning, future proof yourself, remember the digital switch off.

22. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    I have a Pace twin (to which I fitted an 80gb hard drive for 45+ hours recording), a Yamaha RX-V640RDS a/v amp, Jamo speakers and sub and I have a Samsung DVD-HD945 on order (release is in 6-7 weeks). This is the most affordable DVD player I can find with HDMI/DVI output. It also supports DivX and DVD-audio/SACD. I'm not actually in a freeview area but I can pick freeview up OK. Seems this postcode check isn't always accurate. I get about 65-70% signal on my strength meter on most channels and bit error rate of 1.000E-9. This fluctuates on some channels, particularly the music stations. I also have a PS2 but this doesn't seem to output correctly via component (menus are OK but DVD playback is not good), although this was via the Hitachi screens I had. The PS2 won't seem to pick up DTS soundtracks either.

I have top quality interconnects on all (Ixos gold in most cases), freeview is via Ixos RGB scart. The freeview seemed very 'pixelly' on the Hitachi screen, on moving images. Still images were fantastic.

All of this is incidental though as I don't have a screen.

The Pioneer is looking the favourite. I want HDMI/DVI and the ability to accept Hi-def pictures for the future. All this is an attempt to future proof.

So what is it about alis panels?

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    They are fraught with problems, and I don't like the picture. HDMI you should understand is simply Hollywood getting tough with copyrights, nothing to do with picture quality. That's the marketing dept's sugar coating for the unpleasant medicine. Panasonic's DVI, whilst HDCP compliant, has some issues. I have one in my PW6 demo, it's a tricky little fellow. But I'd ignore it and go component video. The folks who thought up HDMI didn't think things through in any case, why send multi channel audio to a display that only supports 2 speakers?

24. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    I was thinking that myself, about the digital audio to a 2 channel TV? Odd. I have heard that HDMI/DVI is a better picture. Also, what do you think of the stuff I mentioned about my freeview reception?

There is a retailer doing the Panasonic with a free scart board and scart box. Can't remember who now? The Panasonic only has 852x480 pixel resolution though. Isn't hi-def gonna be 1000+ pixel resolution?

25. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i disagree on that? HDCP was Hollywood getting tough on copyright, HDMI is simply taking existing protocols, DVI+HDCP+Digital Audio etc, and packaging it in a consumer friendly way. Much like SCART did with analogue. You wouldn't say that SCART was Hollywood getting tough on copyright just because the analogue feed contained macrovision? the difference with HDCP over macrovision is that it is unlikely to be circumvented by a simple lead containing electronics.

I will however agree that just because something is DVI/HDMI that the picture will be good. In the same way that a low quality progressive player will probably have an inferior picture to something of better quality, the same applies to DVI/HDMI based ones. Infact, it could be that picture quality is inferior to analogue based counterparties.

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, but HDMI so far has stuck so rigidly to minimum specification that, notably in the case of Pioneer, you cannot send native res digital signals to the screen. HDCP compliant DVI is different. It is not bound to any specification. You are fee to disagree with me, but I have to deal with the perishing things every day, and I speak as I find. You and I agree perfectly about cheap prog scan players though.

Hi def, a spec has just bee released for TV's to bear a hi def ready sticker (digital spy) for which they must have 720 vertical resolution at least. Fair enough, but it doesn't mean they can't display the material, just that they scale it. Some scaling is unavoidable on all plasmas, no exceptions at all. That's why an external solution, like the iscan HD or Lumagen are used in high end installs. The apparently low res panasonic gives a marvellous picture for most people, the pixelly problem you mention might easily be picture noise on the hitachi, though it might be picture break up, this is normally seen as moving squares, and accompanied by crackling audio. Free scart board and scart switch? That'll be av sales then. The cognoscenti here don't use scart, in my installs I very often don't install a video board at all in Panasonics, partly to save money and partly so the silly idiots can't switch to the wrong input and call me up late at night. I see we share the same taste in freeview boxes and hard drives, with the scart or other video boards it's simple to use s-video from this, though with an AV amp I'd go for component video via a converter, and use s-video from scart 2 for picture in picture, if I were installing around this box. The other component video would be a dvd. All of this of course applies to the hi def Panasonic too, identical apart from pixel count and video processing, which is substantially better, with no discernible flicker either. Put some thought into what you'd like to achieve, a quick TV replacement, or the basis of an integrated AV solution for TV, DVD, PC/internet, add in a camera at the front door, music system etc. with multi channel sound and proper control, and most important, future upgrades and no built in obsolescence.

27. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Ah, the promised land...

That reminds me - must put the lottery numbers on again for this Saturday ;)

28. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Well...surprise surprise!!! The retailer has called me and they say that they have found no fault with the set. They say it is working within manufacturers tolerances. What I wanna know is where these tolerances are written down? The retailer needs to issue a report with the data (numbers) to back up this claim. This 'manufacturers tolerances' thing is just a blag on their behalf. So, as I won't take the set back they are going to charge me a 25% re-stocking fee (roughly £670). They won't back down, even though trading standards tell me what they are doing is against the law.

Decided to withold payment from my credit card company as I'm gonna get nowhere with the retailer. I will name the retailer but only once this has been sorted out.

Here is the letter I have prepared and sent to my credit card company. It goes with the letter (previously posted here) that I sent to the evil, dispicable retailer. Let me know your thoughts.

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: My account number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

This letter should be read in conjunction with the enclosed letter to save me from repeating information.

I recently purchased a plasma TV from a company called xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

This is an internet based company so distance selling regulations apply to purchases. I paid a deposit of £669.14 on 28th June 2004. This was paid with my Goldfish card. I then paid the balance of £2000, again with my Goldfish card, on 10th July 2004.

I received the TV (Hitachi 42PD5300) on 15th July 2004. Upon receipt I discovered, after unpacking the TV, that there was a feature absent from the TV which Hitachi had not made clear. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx agreed to take the set back and swap it for an alternative, and cheaper model on which the feature was included (Hitachi 42PD5200). They agreed to refund me the difference of the two sets. The exchange was agreed on 16th July 2004.

The new set was promised to me within 5 working days. I chased this on 20th July 2004 and again twice on 23rd July 2004. I received a call back on 23rd July 2004 at 3:25pm to say I would receive a call on 26th July 2004 to confirm delivery. I eventually received the set on 28th July 2004, this being eight days after order and not 5 days as promised.

Upon setting the TV up I discovered that it had three serious faults (see enclosed letter for details). It was also missing a UK instruction manual.

Fault 1 – Delay between sound and picture.

Fault 2 – ‘Dead’ pixels on the screen.

Fault 3 – Buzzing coming from the set.

I called xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and told them I wanted them to take the set back and issue me with a full refund. This is my right under distance selling regulations, regardless of faults (see enclosed letter). I was informed that they would take the set back, test it, and if the faults were deemed to be within manufacturers tolerances I would be given a refund minus a 25% re-stocking fee. Obviously this is a very large amount of money.

To pre-empt any problems I wrote to the company on 2nd August 2004 stating my position and their responsibility to refund me fully. A copy of this letter is enclosed. This letter was sent 1st class signed for (proof of posting enclosed) and was received on 4th August 2004 (proof of receipt enclosed). I also sent the contents of this letter via e-mail.

The set was collected from me on 5th August 2004.

I received a phone call today 9th August 2004 from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. They informed me the set has been tested and is working within manufacturers tolerances. Therefore they have agreed to refund me but will withhold 25% to cover the re-stocking fee. The 25% is an amount of £667.29. I have said this is unacceptable and therefore a stalemate has arisen.

Under distance selling regulations the company are NOT allowed to do this. They are in breach of these regulations by NOT issuing me a full refund.

I have been in touch with Trading Standards in Warwickshire (Tel. 01926 414040, ref. No. 200339). They inform me that I am entitled to a full refund as this falls within my ‘cooling-off’ period. This a period of seven working days within which I am allowed to inform that I do not want the goods, and if I return them in the original packaging and undamaged I am entitled to a full refund. The TV set was undamaged and was returned in the original packaging in exactly the same condition I received it. All of this is regardless of faults.

Regarding the faults, there is a discrepancy. The faults were present on the set when I used it. I am being told the set is working within manufacturers tolerances. I have asked xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to supply me with these tolerances and a report to show the set is working within these. This is something they are unable to do.

Fault 1 – Delay between sound and picture: There would need to be a tolerance, probably in milliseconds, stating the maximum delay permissible until the set is deemed faulty. This would have to be laid down in writing by Hitachi. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx would need to supply results showing this delay in milliseconds and that it is within the Hitachi tolerance. They cannot do this.

Fault 2 – ‘Dead’ pixels: There would need to be a stated number that Hitachi consider acceptable before a set can be considered faulty. This would need to be stated officially in writing by Hitachi. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would need to produce evidence that the number of ‘dead’ pixels is under this amount. They cannot do this.

Fault 3 – Buzzing: Hitachi would need to have a written tolerance, in decibels, stating the maximum permissible level of buzzing. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx would have to produce measurements to prove the level of buzzing is below that which is stated. The tolerance would need to state the exact distance away from the set that the buzzing is measured. It would need to be in a specified room with stated background volumes and the volume of the set would need to be stated. Measurements would have to be taken using sensitive equipment. They cannot do this.

If you take a look at an internet based A/V forum:

(http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php)

and do a search on Hitachi you will find I am not the only person who has experienced buzzing from Hitachi sets. Unfortunately I only discovered this recently.

In fact, none of these tolerances exist. I have been told this by Hitachi (Tel. 0870 4054405). Trading Standards have informed me that within the first six months of purchase, it is up to the trader to prove that the set is not faulty. After that period it is up to the purchaser. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx can only keep repeating, “the set is working within manufacturers tolerances”, but they have no measurement data to back this up.
    It is clear from talking to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx today that they are not prepared to back down. They also state that the 25% re-stocking fee is stated in their terms and conditions. Nowhere in these terms and conditions is a figure of 25% and the term ‘re-stocking fee’ mentioned. Even if it were it would be in breach of distance selling regulations and would be invalid anyway.

The other discrepancy with xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx policy is that they are saying the set is unsellable. It is odd therefore, that they did not charge me a ‘re-stocking fee’ for the first set that was returned to them? This set was returned in EXACTLY the same condition as the faulty set but was never deemed unsellable. So, there is no consistency in the policy. If there were then I would be charged 25% for that set too? They only seem to want to charge me this fee now because they have lost the sale as I do not want an alternative set.

I therefore reserve my right, under the conditions of Mastercard, and the joint liability of my credit card company on purchases over £100 to withhold the £2000 that has been paid to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and to withhold a further £669.14, this being the original deposit I paid to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The amount under dispute is that of £667.29, this being the 25% xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx claim they are allowed to retain.

I am sure that you can see I have a watertight case here and that the retailer is not allowed to take the action it has decided upon. In fact, trading standards will tell you that this is not allowed and that they MUST refund me fully.

I am hopeful that you can sort this problem out to my satisfaction, and make sure this retailer upholds the law relating to distance selling regulations. You have always done this in the past and I expect the highest level of attention from you, as has always been the case previously. I would appreciate a phonecall immediately you receive this letter to let me know the course of action and what I can expect.

I remain a loyal customer.

Regards,

Enc: letter to xxxxxxxxxx

copies of statements

proof of posting, proof of receipt

29. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Once this whole matter is sorted out I'd definitely like to know the name of the supplier!

The letter looks good to me - keeps us all posted.

ZedZed

30. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    So...the latest.

I have been told by the retailer that they will give me a FULL refund, which should show on my credit card in the next few days. They tell me that their accounts department will write to me regarding the 25% 're-stocking' fee. That letter will go straight in the bin. So, I await the refund.

I have now been looking at other screens and am seriously considering the Pioneer PDP-434HDE. I am realising that you CANNOT get everything you want on a set. What you gain on one you lose on another. The Hitachi seemed like the perfect set but...well, no comment.

I am almost certainly gonna buy from John Lewis Solihull. They will do the Pioneer for £3399.99 with stand and speakers + 5yr warranty.

I cannot believe the level of service from JL already! They went out of their way to pricematch the Pioneer. They are friendly, helpful and courteous over the phone and ALWAYS call when they say they will. I have enquired about their returns policy and could not believe how honest they were with me. I told them of the problems I had already and all the distance selling regs stuff. I told them I didn't want to get caught out again. Their customer services guy looked into it and told me I was indeed correct. If I buy from them over the phone and want to return within 7 days they will not charge me a penny. If I bought in-store they could charge me 10% handling though. They told me they could insist I buy in-store but said they don't mind me ordering over the phone to give me that extra level of protection. If I did have problems they would send someone out straight away to assess my complaint and take it from there. The guy even offered to mediate with the retailer I have had problems with. He said he's done it before. WOW!!! :clap:

All this and I haven't even bought anything yet. They agreed to all of this because of the problems I have had with the previous retailer and they totally understand my concerns.

What do you guys reckon to all this. It seems too good to be true. I thought customer service was dead, buried, and turned to dust in this country. Seems it is still alive and well at JL?

Would appreciate your comments on this on-going saga. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.