Lip sync/PowerDVD/Media portal

mikes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having built and set the HTPC successfully, I was watching my £2 HD DVD of Apollo 13 last night, using the LG HD DVD/BD combo drive and Power DVD version that came with it (7.x I think). Using Win7 as the OS.

It passes 5.1 sound through to the amp no problem and the picture quality is excellent with no stutter, however there is a lip sync problem which gets worse as time goes by. After an hour the sound/audio was out by over a second.

Pausing/restarting had no effect.

I've tried all the combinations of renderer/audio/video in MP and find that AC3 Filter and ffdshow are the best.

I've tried altering some of the settings in ffdshow (Quality - which I think allows it to drop frames) to no effect.

I'm beginning to think it's PowerDVD, but wanted some advice/comment before I spend £75 on AnyDVD.

Any software must play HD DVD and BD movies, so this rules out PowerDVD 9.

Anyone else facing similar problems or can offer some advice?

Thanks

I'm beginning to think it's PowerDVD, but wanted some advice/comment before I spend £75 on AnyDVD.

Any software must play HD DVD and BD movies, so this rules out PowerDVD 9.

Anyone else facing similar problems or can offer some advice?

Thanks

£75 on ANyDVD? *checks* Ah, the lifetime version?

You can run the trial first to see if this helps playback in anyway.

Is your PowerDVD version up to date? Try a Blu-ray and see if it prompts an upgrade and then switch back to the HD-DVDs again.

Lastly, what GPU are you using?

Is your PowerDVD version up to date? Try a Blu-ray and see if it prompts an upgrade and then switch back to the HD-DVDs again.

Lastly, what GPU are you using?

It's PowerDVD v 7.3 (I think), the version supplied with the drive.

GPU is a passively cooled 4650. Plays MKV's , SD DVD and HD DVDs and streams 1080p without problem. I don't have any Blu Rays at the moment. Ordered the Godfather remastered trilogy which should arrive in the next few days.

Yes, it's the lifetime AnyDVD HD at £75 a pop. Worth it? I plan to use the trial version today.

Thanks for your help.

I have the same disc and Power DVD 7.3, which plays it fine, no sound problems with DD 5.1 via SPDIF.

I do get sound lag when sending TruHD via analogue, however, so I now enable the AC3 option in the dropdown menu in PowerDVD.

I had the same problem using powerdvd with the same drive. I even formatted my htpc and went to using xp instead of vista as it was driving me insane :rolleyes:
I am now using totalmedia theatre 2.??? works a treat and play blu rays as well.:thumbsup:

I had the same problem using powerdvd with the same drive. I even formatted my htpc and went to using xp instead of vista as it was driving me insane :rolleyes:
I am now using totalmedia theatre 2.??? works a treat and play blu rays as well.:thumbsup:

I'm another who gave up on using PowerDVD and now uses Totalmedia. IMHO a much better program

I haven't looked into this for a while - is there a trial version of TMT? I tried WinDVD but that's not compatible with Vista (MFC80 errors and crashes the program).

Edit:

Have just looked at the Arcsoft forums and TMT3 is still full of bugs, awaiting an as yet unreleased patch. Oh well, will stick with PDVD for a while longer...

Last edited:
You say your using Windows 7, PDVD 7.3 and the LG BD/ HDDVD drive? I use all those, and for some reason it won't play HDDVD's anymore, not since upgrading to W7. Hmmm.

I've not got any BDs to test it. Plays HD DVD OK

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom