1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip Sync out on Sony STR-DE697

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chedmaster, Feb 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    when watching anything in any dts format the lipsync starts out ok, and gradually gets worse until i turn off the amp and turn it back on again???
    This includes "The Village" THX Certified DVD (in DTS-ES mode) and DTS:NEO6 from sky, also all other dts dvds i have watched. Could this be a faulty unit or should i return it for a Cambridge audio AZUR 540R? PS i have a normal CRT TV, but an rgb connection from the DVD player to tv, and coaxial from dvd to amp, would routing video through amp help? (would have to use composite as S-Video seems not to work from sony dvd scarts).

thanks guys

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    it would appear that i have sorted it, i ran the village through my xbox using the optical output, and the lipsync is perfect, could it be that the sony dvd player is not up to outputting the high data rates of DTS through its coaxial output? I shall be having words with amazon if this is the case. Would a higher quality cable help, or is it more likely to be the player rather than the connection?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Someone please? i am so confused as to what is causing the problem, i have tried 2 dvd players (both very similar sonys) and on dts dvd soundtracks i get lip sync problems on the village if i have the surround back on or off, on kill bill 1 its fine without SB off, didnt try with it on, on kill bill 2 it is always out, but with all these dvds its fine on the xbox with optical connections with or without SB on.

If i return it it will be for tomorrow. I assume it cannot be the dts processor as it works with optical, so could it be the coaxial processor on the amp? or is it more likely the sony dvd players? (i used one of the dvd players with my old sherwood amp on dts with kill bill 2 and it was fine - but that was 5.1)

4. 2morex

2morex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chances are that it is not the receiver but the dvd decks, Sonys are famous for lip sync problems. You might visit the set up menus of your dvd decks and find a solution. I own a nad deck with similar dts problems of lip sync and frame jumping, it's a firmware problem in the deck. I found that if I paused the movie and then hit play again that the problem would sometimes go away. I later bought an arcam and have never looked back. My arcam actually addresses lip sync in the set up menu. Are you running progressive scan out of the deck?

It's frustrating, I know, but sadly in audio you get what you pay for.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    no, no progressive scan, thanks for that, the thing is i used the dvd player a while back for kill bill 2 using my old 5.1 amp and i dont remember having any probs, and now if i turn the surround back on (matrix mode) it makes the lip sync worse, suggesting that the amp is taking too long to process the sound??? Tomorrow is the last day i can return my sony for the azur, i think i may just do that, and if i still have lip sync trouble, i will return the dvd player to amazon and buy a more expensive one on ebay.

6. 2morex

2morex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take it all back. It's your money and you need to be absolutely satisfied.

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks, i have looked into this, but its too expensive for me! I hate having things in my system which don't work properly, even if i rarely use them! so i rang richer sounds and they are taking the sony in and swapping it (with a bit of dosh of course) for the CA Azur 540R, and im buying yet another new dvd player (CA dvd57).
    Also i found the STR-DE697 (which i paid £200 for) on empire direct for £150! not happy - RS told me it would be as good as CA 540R.

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fair comment. My situation is Sony have GIVEN me a DVP-NS955 DVD Player and a HT-DDW860 surroud system. The lip sync is there when the DVD player is set to output DTS/Dolby etc but if it's set to output D-PCM etc there is an "AV Alignment" option (upto 100ms) that cures it. The sound isn't as good then though!! So as i didn't pay a penny the above solution is cheap for me :)