Lip Sync on HD-XE1

rulocal

Will Toshiba ever sort this out. I am really thinking of selling my HD player because of this. Initially it did not annoy me but I am now noticing it more and more, albeit only on SD DVD. Using delay on my amp does not really work either as the lip sync error seems to vary from disc to disc and scene to scene.

Has anybody heard of any developments on this problem.

Cheers.

kmark40

unfortunately, mine was only eradicated when I switched to connecting to my amp via hdmi rather than analogue 5.1. Not an issue at all anymore :)

brian s

Distinguished Member
Will Toshiba ever sort this out. I am really thinking of selling my HD player because of this. Initially it did not annoy me but I am now noticing it more and more, albeit only on SD DVD. Using delay on my amp does not really work either as the lip sync error seems to vary from disc to disc and scene to scene.

Has anybody heard of any developments on this problem.

Cheers.

My lip sync was intoduced via a firmware update from Toshiba. They later sent me a 1.5 update which they reckoned would cure it. It improved the situation but by no means cured it. There has been another update since then which I haven't got. I don't know if it helped with the lip sync but I've read elsewhere in these forums that it introduced video judder problems. There's another one due this month to make the machine 24fps. I don't know if it'll do anything else or have any unwanted side effects.

I've been looking at switching units that can handle upto three 5.1 sound outputs and HDMI. I thought I might be able to correct the problem with this but your comments on attempting to do it via your amp has made me think again.

What firmware update are you on? Don't laugh too loud when I suggest this but have you contacted Toshiba for help.?

Cheers
Bri

Scottyyy

Is this a known problem with the E1 too?

If so then there's no way I'm buying one. Lip sync problems really annoy me.

Jeff

Distinguished Member
The E1 doesn't have 5.1 analogue output.

Adam_uk

my XE1 had this on some discs, but since firmware 2.0 its pretty much all gone.

HawkeyeGnu

Standard Member
Using delay on my amp does not really work either as the lip sync error seems to vary from disc to disc and scene to scene.
Cheers.

Yes, I too suffer from lip sync problems with the XE-1 on SD-DVD (analogue to amp or HDMI to Pioneer 506XDE) . As you so rightly say, the delay is variable, so unfortunately an amp with adjustable delay is probably the best option you're going to get, new firmware or not :(. I'm currently looking at my options for a new receiver.

It's a pain in the neck, but the picture quality is so far above anything I've experienced (on SD), I'll put up with it for now.

stevefish69

I updated my firmware to 2.0 before i used my XE1 and can honestly say that i have never noticed any Lip Sync problems.

I use digital out for SD discs and 5.1 out for HD's both without a hitch :thumbsup:

pythagoras

I updated my firmware to 2.0 before i used my XE1 and can honestly say that i have never noticed any Lip Sync problems.

I use digital out for SD discs and 5.1 out for HD's both without a hitch :thumbsup:

Why digital out for sd? And do you mean hdmi or optical.

Regards

John.

stevefish69

Why digital out for sd? And do you mean hdmi or optical.

Regards

John.

Sorry.

Co-ax Bitstream out to my A11SR where the processing is done

shilv

I do the same without any problems. If I use the 5.1 analogue out for SD DVD then I do experience lip-sync issues - using the digital out cures this (though I have to remember to change the XE1 to 'Bitstream' output as it is set to PCM for HD DVD for the bass management work-around).

eggybread

Standard Member
I'm still getting lipsync on most of my SD-DVD disks. I contacted toshiba on [email protected] and asked them [1] when is the next firmware release, and [2] will it fix the lipsync issues.
They replied:
1; There will be a new firmware upgrade soon, we have no specific date yet. It will be ready for release in the next few months.
2; We have no info regarding whether the new firmware will address lyp-sync.
Not hugely useful. I replied, asking them why they didnt seem to know anything about their own products. Wonder if they reply to that.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom