1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lip sync on freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by 3wrLcs, Jan 12, 2003.

1. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed some lip sync problems on freeview, being new to digital TV is this common? Also watching rugby on TV today I had some shimmering aroung moving players, other sport has been OK.

I have a Panasonic TUCT20 didibox connected to a Sony 4:3 TV through a non-RGB SCART.

Any comments?

Brendan

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, welcome to the wonders of Digital TV!

:)

BTW, in Liverpool, a "didibox" is what Ken Dodd keeps his wig in.

;)

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Unfortunately, the more you watch, you more you will notice the various MPEG effects. Fast fades between scenes and fast moving scenes show most of them. Something we're just going to have to get used to unfortunately. That's "progress".

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Don't call it progress, let us be more honest.
    That's UK digital broadcastors taking advantage of a situation where there seems to be no regulatory body to enforce picture standards and too much opportunity to save money by reducing bitrates.
    Bad enough with SKY and Cable but DTT should be setting the standards for picture quality not left alone to waste limited capacity on shopping channels and music channels and arguing between the BBC and the independents over transmission standards.

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    I wonder if there are not enough multiplexes available i.e. not enough bandwidth provided in BandIV & BandV where the UHF TV allocations are.
    I am sure they must use statistical multiplexing but no algorithm can fully compensate if all channels require a high datarate simultaneously.
    The lip-sync effect can also happen due to poor MPEG deccoder hardware/firmware in the receiver as well as if not enough of the appropriate timing reference signals are being sent in the Transport stream.
    I can actually check this for satellite signals (via a satellite PCI-card and a s/ware TS reader).
    I don't have this capability for terrestrial dig-TV signals (although if someone sent me 30 seconds of recorded complete multiplex I could analyse it offline - it would be a large file though and not email-able).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

6. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Panasonic say they are aware of lip/sync problem and download available Feb 10th .Check their home page for details.

7. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that by switching the TUCT20 off and on again lip sync is restored. I'll keep an eye out for the download though.

Brendan