Lip Sync Issues

n33712

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Have had lip sync issues for three years now. (Sound behind video) Have tried tech' support with Sky several times, box settings, firmware, engineer visits but nothing fixes it. I have replaced the TV (Samsung) and the HDMI cable three times but issue remains.
It is always fine when you turn sky on and will start to go after 30-60 minutes and gradually get worse until (for me) it is unwatchable. Turn sky off for 10 seconds, turn on and the it is fine but the cycle starts again.
I have no additional hardware. Apps (Netflix etc.) through Sky are fine. DVD and USB watching also no issues.

Fed up now, contract up and wanted to leave Sky after 18 years with them. Gave them a chance for another engineer visit....took the day off work today for it. He came, replaced the box (1TB) he left, within an hour same issue. Another engineer coming tomorrow.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mine does it off and on if I watch a scheduled recording. If it happens I download the program again and that copy is normally fine.

I don't have a Samsung to test, but this thread on the Sky Community Forums has some suggestions which some of the posters claim to have helped them.

I’ve had sky lip sync issues for years, tried all sorts to resolve, mostly occurs on certain sky one shows, arrow, super girl and those family of shows, stopped watching them it was so bad to be honest, noticed it recently with bake off but otherwise it’s generally acceptable, only solution I found that worked was switching it to stereo instead of DD, not an ideal fix so left it so it could get atmos for those odd movies etc. I’ve got a V1 box with no HDR and it goes through a Denon receiver to my LG B8.

I don't have a Samsung to test, but this thread on the Sky Community Forums has some suggestions which some of the posters claim to have helped them.

Thanks for link, pretty sure i've tried all those but no harm in trying again

My lip sync stopped once a firmware was leaked that included eARC, however Samsung are definitely not the only TV manufacturer to have this issue.
If you've a soundbar then the easiest way to get around this is to connect the Sky box directly to it.
The OP doesn't state how his Sky box is connected or what model of Samsung TV they have, so we're working a tad in the dark..

My 2TB V3 Q box is connected to a Panasonic TV via a Pioneer AVR with full pass-through. I've never had lip-sync issues with any content, whether live, downloaded or streamed via an app on Q. The box is set to 2160P 10bit, and audio to DD+ via HDMI. It switches seamlessly between PCM, DD and DD+ Atmos as and when Q outputs it.

Sky are replacing my box again with the UHD Box, apparently their newest. Will feedback if it makes any difference.

Sky are replacing my box again with the UHD Box, apparently their newest. Will feedback if it makes any difference.
The 'newest' Sky Q box was released nearly 2 years ago now. The one you receive may not actually be new either, but refurbished. It doesn't really matter in the long run as you are just renting it for the duration of the contract. Just make sure it works and has a hardware version number beginning 32B2xx - that way you will be getting the latest UHD HDR capable box.

The 'newest' Sky Q box was released nearly 2 years ago now. The one you receive may not actually be new either, but refurbished. It doesn't really matter in the long run as you are just renting it for the duration of the contract. Just make sure it works and has a hardware version number beginning 32B2xx - that way you will be getting the latest UHD HDR capable box.
Thanks for the info...will check.

Have no doubt that my current box will find its way in to someone else's house shortly :(
My contract is actually finished in around 2 weeks. If they don't fix this i'm off to BT.....they know this.

What channels are you experiencing the lip-sync error on?
As an experiment do you have another TV you can try the Sky Q box on?

Didn't work :(
Also replaced LMB and aerial cables
Is your SkyQ connected directly into your TV, what is the models of the TV and/or any soundbars or receivers if they are connected?

What channels are you experiencing the lip-sync error on?
As an experiment do you have another TV you can try the Sky Q box on?
Happens with all channels but if i was to name one that is really bad it would be comedy channel (wife watches a lot of Friends)

Is your SkyQ connected directly into your TV, what is the models of the TV and/or any soundbars or receivers if they are connected?
Can't get the exact model right now but it's a 40" Samsung TV and yes connected directly, i have no sound bars etc.

Please let us know the model when you can, the more researching your issue the more likely we may find a solution...

Model is UE40J5100AKXXU
That’s a non-4K 2015 model so it pre-dates Sky Q. I can only assume that its processor isn't quite speedy enough to decode the HDMI signal from Q and keep the audio/video stream in sync.
What A/V settings do you have on the Q box? Are you outputting 1080i?

Yeah I wonder what specs the HDMI are..

Try setting the Q box HDMI audio output to “Normal”
Home/Settings//Setup/Audio visual/Digital audio output HDMI

That’s a non-4K 2015 model so it pre-dates Sky Q. I can only assume that its processor isn't quite speedy enough to decode the HDMI signal from Q and keep the audio/video stream in sync.
What A/V settings do you have on the Q box? Are you outputting 1080i?
It's set to 1080p

Try 1080i - that’s the native HD broadcast resolution.
I'm surprised a Sky engineer has not said about this option.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. I have set to 1080i and will see how it goes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom