Lip Sync Issues with Sony XH9005 and K450 Soundbar

rdbrotherton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a fairly dated soundbar in the form of a Samsung HW-K450, nothing fancy but better than TV speakers and has been adequate for my needs to date. For a number of years I'd been using it with my Samsung TV (RU7470) and have experienced zero problems with sound and picture sync on Sky Q and Smart TV apps when played through HDMI ARC port.

I've just picked up a Sony XH9005 and connected it to the soundbar via the same ARC input (and HDMI cable for that matter) and right off the bat I'm having audio sync issues. If I revert back to TV speakers all is well.

The sound is behind the picture source so for Sky Q I can't tweak the delay to line it up. I've been playing with the TV's audio settings menus, turning AV Sync on, changing eARC mode to off and Auto, Digital audio Out to Auto 1, Auto 2 and off, etc but changing these may make it better for one source i.e. Sky Q but no good for the native smart TV apps such as Netflix or Apple TV. There's so many options it just becomes messy and difficult to find a good solution for all sources.

When it comes to TVs and Soundbars is it best to keep to same manufacturers? I am in the market for a new soundbar but I don't want to spend £400+ on something that still leaves me with audio sync issues. I have been considering a Sonos Beam to compliment the other Sonos speakers I already have around the house, but if going with a Sony soundbar is more likely to avoid the sync issues I could look at that instead...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you tried changing the eARC mode?
According to the Help Guide you can find the available settings via [Settings] — [Display & Sound] — [Audio output] — [eARC mode]. I've no idea what alternative settings may be available as I don't have a Sony TV but it's worth a look in case simply changing a setting fixes your problem.

Otherwise it looks like your TV is expecting an eARC capable connection on your soundbar which presumably your Samsung doesn't have. An alternative soundbar as long as it has an eARC connection shouldn't suffer from lipsync issues. You mention the SONOS Beam but as far as I'm aware this also doesn't have eARC. The SONOS ARC does though it's quite a bit bigger and more expensive than the Beam. If Sony do a soundbar of a suitable price and size then as long as it has eARC then that may well be your best bet.

JB

Have you tried changing the eARC mode?
According to the Help Guide you can find the available settings via [Settings] — [Display & Sound] — [Audio output] — [eARC mode]. I've no idea what alternative settings may be available as I don't have a Sony TV but it's worth a look in case simply changing a setting fixes your problem.

Otherwise it looks like your TV is expecting an eARC capable connection on your soundbar which presumably your Samsung doesn't have. An alternative soundbar as long as it has an eARC connection shouldn't suffer from lipsync issues. You mention the SONOS Beam but as far as I'm aware this also doesn't have eARC. The SONOS ARC does though it's quite a bit bigger and more expensive than the Beam. If Sony do a soundbar of a suitable price and size then as long as it has eARC then that may well be your best bet.

JB
Try turning sync to off not auto

Hi thanks for the tips. Yes I’ve been playing with the output Audio settings trying to find a solution. AV Sync was set to off whilst I was having the sync issues. I’ve now turned it to on (not auto) which has fixed majority of issues with sky and tv apps audio syncing. That said, Netflix and Amazon sync fine but Apple TV isn’t synced but to be honest I think that’s the best I’ll get with current soundbar.

Thanks for advice on eARC. Looking at a Sony with eARC which should benefit from Bravia sync also so fingers crossed for that.

Sadly no. I’ve been through a few soundbars with no luck. The Sony HT-ZF9 and currently the Sonos Beam. Both still suffer with lip sync. Whilst the Sony soundbar was an issue all the time, the Sonos is only an issue when using the TV’s apps like Netflix/Prime/Apple etc. The TV AV Sync setting works for my Sky box feed.

Reading reviews at Rtings.com both soundbars have a 0 or + latency. I think my only hope it to find a soundbar with a negative latency score (which should result in sound coming before picture) which I can then fix with audio delay.

Thank you. I gave up took tv back. I must admit it took me totally by surprise, the lip sync was the worst I had ever encountered.
Probably the best option really. I exchanged mine in the hope it was a faulty TV but same issue with the replacement. I bought the Sonos soundbar direct as they have a 100 day no quibble return policy so if I couldn’t sort the issue I could always try a different soundbar with negative latency. The Sonos is neutral.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom