1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip sync issues with Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Grobnic, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I have a 5.1 system and I've linked to my Sky+ via an optical link I'm getting lip sync problems. Has anybody else experienced this and if so what was you solution to the problem?

I've been looking at the Felston DD340 or DD540 which delays the audio signal, but try as I might I can't which way the lip sync is out. I'm currently running a 32" CRT so I suspect it may be the audio that is late already so I don't think the Felston will help. :confused:

I plan to upgrade to a HD TV soon :clap: :clap: and I want to make sure I don't have lip sync errors then.

Anybody who can suggest any solutions or anybody who has experience with a Felston would be helpful, but any advice is welcome.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Grobnic

Its pretty unusual (though not impossible) to find the audio processing is getting behind the video processing!.

Whatever solution you go with now is not a guaranteed 'fix' should you have problems once you introduce a DLP RPTV - though with the RPTV your definitely much more likely to have a delay in the Video processing and a requirement for an Audio Delay unit.

The Felston DD540 is your weapon of choice - no Optical input on the DD340.

Perhaps you can organise a Home Trial through a Felston dealer before you commit to a purchase.

Best regards

Joe

PS Hopefully your current problem is resolved by the Felston DD540 as a Video delay unit will be a tad more expensive!

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is actually fairly common and a bug in the sky plus... I actually don't bother with the optical connection - partly because my receiver doesn't have enough inputs to do xbox, dvd-r and sky and partly because it's fairly annoying. Pro Logic 2 is good enough for me when I'm watching a badly compressed sky picture anyway... I leave the dolby digital to the dvds when the picture looks great too.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Good shout Box_Lex

Though I have to say my SKY+ box is pretty reliable these days and with the Movie channels it can look excellent!

Possibly a re-boot is in order (simply pull the mains plug) and see if that helps the Audio behind Video delay.

Best regards

Joe

5. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ive had sync problems that appeared to occur when the drive was getting full i wiped a few recordings at it went back to normal