Lip Sync Issues with Sky Q

Macey

Hi,

Not sure this is the best forum for this post but plenty of others like it appear here!

So, I have recently setup the JBL 9.1 sound bar and am experiencing lip sync issues through Sky Q when Dolby Digital or DD+ are selected (delay is also present when streaming from Apple TV on an Xbox One X). The setup is as follows,

Panasonic UB820 into sound bar, sound bar into arc port on DX902, Sky Q, Xbox One X and Nintendo Switch connected to the remaining ports on tv.

I have replaced the HDMI cables with certified Premium HS ones and the issue is still present. If the sound output in the Sky menus is set to Stereo it resolves the delay in addition to directly connecting the Sky Q box into the sound bar (no delay present with DD or DD+). The apps on the TV itself (ie. Netflix/Amazon Prime) are fine and have no delay present.

I have read many threads over the last week or so and is it a simple fix to add a HDMI switch before the sound bar? I would be interested in the HD (Vertex? Arcana?) solutions if they resolve the issues, but appears they need a programmable remote to negate the need for manual switching (not ideal with kids) each time? Are there any other solutions?

Thanks!

jole26

The only way I can avoid Sky Q lip sync issues is to feed the Q box into the soundbar.

Q box directly to the TV will always cause this issue. Although switching off all video processing in the tv settings does help a bit.

gibbsy

Although I don't have soundbar I do have SkyQ connected directly to my AV amp, so the same principle probably applies. It's then easier to adjust the lip sync on the Sky box itself and this works for me. I have very little, if any, problems with a setting of 80ms. I also run Netflix and Prime though SkyQ now that both have HDR on Sky.

I think you may be better off with this thread in the Soundbar board. I'll move it if you wish. Tag me so I don't miss it.

Macey

Although I don't have soundbar I do have SkyQ connected directly to my AV amp, so the same principle probably applies. It's then easier to adjust the lip sync on the Sky box itself and this works for me. I have very little, if any, problems with a setting of 80ms. I also run Netflix and Prime though SkyQ now that both have HDR on Sky.

I think you may be better off with this thread in the Soundbar board. I'll move it if you wish. Tag me so I don't miss it.
@gibbsy Is that the delay setting on the Sky Q box or on your receiver? I find the audio delay settings on the Sky box (and the sound bar for that matter) only delay the audio further (as the audio is behind the video not the other way round if that makes sense!)

In that case I think I need a HDMI switch as the sound bar only has 1 HDMI in port.

If you think it's better placed over there then feel free to move it over!

gibbsy

@gibbsy Is that the delay setting on the Sky Q box or on your receiver? I find the audio delay settings on the Sky box (and the sound bar for that matter) only delay the audio further (as the audio is behind the video not the other way round if that makes sense!)

In that case I think I need a HDMI switch as the sound bar only has 1 HDMI in port.

You can delay the audio but not the other way around. I don't have that problem with SkyQ, I have had it with the TV's apps and I turn the AV amp off and back on and this usually forces a new HDMI handshake and the sync falls into place, but it's hit and miss. The lip sync on digital optical is more stable.

I use SkyQ as my TV itself cannot pass Atmos and I have an Atmos speaker layout which I can get from Sky except with Netflix.

gibbsy

Moved here.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We have quite a few customers with this problem who use the HDFury Arcana to resolve the audio delay issue - the Arcana allows ARC from the TV to an eARC enabled Soundbar plus 4K UHD/HDR/HDCP2.2 and full HD audio from a device connected directly to the Arcana.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom