Lip sync issues: switch to use with Sonos Beam, Sky Q, HDFury Arcana setup?

andrewl

Standard Member
Sorry this is long. I thought I'd just put it out there as it may be of interest to others in the same boat; maybe someone has some bright idea of something else I can try. Right now, I do not have a solution to this.

The problem:
As others have found on various forums, lip sync is out using Sky Q with DD5.1 enabled, via TV's HDMI ARC ports to a Sonos Beam. Video ahead of audio, so unable to fix with delay settings. No lip sync problem when Sky Q set to 'Normal' rather than Dolby Digital.

Hardware:
Philips 48OLED+935
Sonos Beam (1st Gen), plus sub, plus 2 x PLAY:ONE
Sky Q v3 box (ie. the HDR-enabled one - problem predates this box though - lip sync was also out using a v1 box)
Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen (2021)
Sony Blu-ray player
HDFury Arcana (firmware v0.84)
Kinivo 4K HDMI switch (550BN)
Brand new Amazon Basics 1.8m HDMI leads throughout

Setup (pre-Arcana)
Sky Q, Apple TV, Blu-ray, Sonos Beam each connected to a TV HDMI port (all TV ports are ARC-enabled)
TV set to use 'HDMI Sound System' for audio; 'Multichannel' format
Sky Q set to DD5.1
Result: Lip sync out; picture ahead of sound. Changing Sky Q to 'Normal' sound output fixes sync.
I also tried using the Sonos HDMI > Optical adapter at this point (Sky still connected to TV HDMI 1, but TV optical out also connected to Beam). No difference.

At this point I read about the HDFury Arcana and took the plunge.

Setup 1 (post-Arcana)
Sky Q set to DD5.1 and connected to Arcana
Arcana > TV HDMI 1 and Sonos Beam
Other hardware disconnected
Result: All works. No lip sync problems at all - but at this point, Apple TV and Blu-ray not connected. Switch required.

Setup 2 (post-Arcana, plus switch)
Sky Q set to DD5.1 and connected to FiveHome 5-port HDMI switch input 1
Apple TV > switch input 2
Blu-ray > switch input 3
Switch output > Arcana
Arcana > TV HDMI 1 and Sonos Beam
Result: No lip sync problem, but frequently the TV would just go into standby while watching something. Or, Sky would pop up a 'this screen does not support HDCP' error from time to time, which would resolve by putting the Q box on standby and switching back on.
Taking the switch out of the chain and going back to just the Arcana resolved those issues completely - but at the expense of having Apple TV and Blu-ray connected.

Conclusion: change the switch! I returned the FiveHome and ordered this one: Kinivo 550BN

Setup as per Setup 2, but with the Kinivo switch
Result: no more random TV switching off, no more random HDCP errors, but lip sync regression, in a weird way...

Sequence:
TV on standby
Sky Q on standby
Switch on Sky Q - also wakes TV via CEC
Sky Q menu page presented
Start watching any channel (by exiting the Sky menu)
Lip sync is fine
Press Home on the Sky remote
Sync is lost. You can hear a slight skip in the audio the instant you press the Home button
Sync is now out unless I go into the TV's Source menu and re-select HDMI 1. That corrects everything - until I go back into the Sky menu at which point sync will go once more.

I have also tried using a different HDMI port on the TV to connect the Arcana to (seems to work - until the TV is switched to standby. Problem returns when TV is woken again).

I am almost at the point where I will take out the Arcana and switch and just go back to setting the Q box to 'Normal'. While I could almost live with having to keep manually re-selecting HDMI 1, it's just not a 'wife-friendly' solution. This stuff needs to just work. If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears. The only potential solution I can see is to keep buying and returning switches until I find one that works. If there's a reasonably-priced switch someone can recommend, I'd like to know!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Not sure about reasonably priced but the HDFury Vertex2 works well in combination with the Arcana.

Joe

PS Some customers have had good results with a Switch from Roofull.

andrewl

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. You're right - the Vertex2 doesn't quite fit my idea of 'reasonably priced'! But I'll keep looking.

andrewl

Standard Member
Update: I seem to have got everything working with the current hardware. The problem I described above, where the sync would go out every time I went into the Sky menu was resolved by turning off the Q box’s HDMI control.
The down side is that turning on the Q box no longer automatically wakes the TV, but I can live with that. A long press on the Q remote on/off button activates the TV.
If this holds, I think I’ve conquered it…unless merely saying that curses it of course.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom