Lip Sync issues....only when I switch to 3D

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stoofa, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I really wasn't sure where to make this post as it covers various subjects. But I'll try here and see where it goes.
    I have an Onkyo HT-S5405. Amongst other things it has a SkyHD box attached to it. Because I want the 5.1 sound it's connected via HDMI and also an Optical Audio cable.

Over the past few days I've taken delivery of a Samsung 40ES6900 LED/3D TV. Last night we decided to "try" the switching of 3D on with non-3D source. As it happens it was an episode of Eastenders that the wife was watching on playback from the SkyHD box. (Won't go into details of the 3D effect, but I was pleasently surprised).
    Within about a minute of watching a lip-sync issue appeared. Switching back to standard 2D and everything then sorted itself out again.

Now as of yet I have not tried playing some 3D content from our PS3, nor even some non-3D content and switching the "virtual" 3D on. So as of this moment I cannot confirm if lip sync only exists with the SkyHD box or any source when I switch 3D on.

Is this an issue I should be able to solve at the Onkyo end of things? I personally wouldn't know where to start looking, so pointers would be great. Or is it something that needs solving at the source - reluctant to add delays in on the SkyHD box as I'm assuming if I do, when I'm not running in 3D mode it'll be out of sync again.
    Also, do recievers get firmware/software updates? I've neevr looked into that, so the Onkyo is running whatever it shipped with.

Cheers.

2. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would imagine that this is due to the added picture processing that the TV is having to do which the receiver is unaware of.

The obvious thing to do would be to adjust the audio delay in either the Sky box or the receiver but you would need to do this whenever switching between 2D and 3D. I'm not sure that you can take advantage of Auto AV sync as I have read that sky boxes do not output 5.1 over HDMI (hopefully somebody can confirm whether this is correct).

3. Stoofa

Stoofa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yer I know for certain the SkyHD box doesn't output 5.1 over HDMI - which would possibly solve the problem.
    To be honest 99% of my 3D viewing would be via the PS3 which is of course doing everything over HDMI. So I'll give that a test over the weekend and so long as that is OK I won't worry too much about the SkyHD issue.

4. mannwhite

mannwhite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have an HT-S5405 sitting between an LG 47LA790 and a PC and can confirm that the lip sync issues crop up when using 3D. The workaround I found was to set the PC display to 60Hz which is a bummer since I really like my motion interpolation.