Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Lip Sync - How Real a Problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by nheather, Jan 30, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,793
    I am about to buy a Pany PW7 or a NEC VR5 42" Plasma. For sound I'm considering using a Denon 500 All In One System.

I would be using an RGB>VGA or RGB>Component but not an external scaler.

One niggle in my mind is the Lip Sync issue, since the Denon does not have a delay function.

My question is "Just how evident is the lip sync problem?".

One the one hand I figure that since there are more systems without the delay function than with, it can't be a major problem.

At the same time I don't want to find I experience the problem and can't do anything about it.

I know it's pretty subjective but is the Lip Sync issue something that the majority just won't experience or notice.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The gear you are planning on is not noted for lip sync problems, I'd cross my fingers and hope for the best I think. If it's sky, then frequent reboots of the box might keep it within acceptable limits.

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we get lip-sync very infrequently, and only on sky - tend to find that a change of channel and back to the lip-syncing one fixes it.

Gary

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only watch DVD's (no TV) and I do sometimes get very obvious lip-sync issues but I suspect it's more to do with the DVD player and/or the coding on the DVD and/or the layer of the DVD that is being read. Have not managed to pin it down to one of those things but I only get it sometimes on some DVD's.

It's only something you can really do something about if it is a constant sync-problem, if its only on certain sources or whatever it's gonna be hard to do anything anyway.

5. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PW7 with a scart connection through a Quintro. Some DVDs / DTV are realy very bad with lip sync if the screenis left on Auto. By finding the correct Aspect setting the lip sync has gone 100% so far. When it does happen it is after a sceen where there is high level of changes in the screen (chases, lots of panning.) I also find that switching to PC and back to input one clears it. It is as if the processor can not keep up and then does not claw back the lost time. As said earlier once I have the correct aspect ratio it has been fine to date.