Lip Sync Help!!

chrisgal

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I thought this may be the best place to ask??

I've a new 60 inch plasma which is causing lip sync issues that I never had before on my 50inch.

I'm playing blu ray on a PS3 with audio and picture through a Marantz SR4001 via HDMI. I've tried a few combinations e.g. picture via HDMI direct to TV, audio via optical to receiver etc, but no joy.

As far as I know neither the PS3 or Marantz have the ability to adjust lip sync so have I any options or is my only 'fix' either a new blu ray player or receiver??

Any help appreciated as I'd rather not shell out on any more equipment!

Try turning off as much of the picture processing as possible to see if that improves things. Are you sure the receiver does not have a sound delay function or something similar?

No unfortunately audio delay is not available on this model (it is on the next model up SR5001). Just tried the turning of all the picture processing with no luck :(

Is there even any other cost effect equipment that I could fit that would let me lip sync?

You can rip our BR into mkv and play through a portable HDD and WD TV Live with HDMI passthrough. Lipsync builtin. Only thing is it doesn't passthrough DTS-HDMA. But you can rip and remux that into wav.

Thanks for the reply, which totally lost me!! However that sounds like more time and effort than I could afford to give it. :(

WD TV Live is a media streamer that costs £70 at Currys/PC world. It plays all music, mkvs, network connectivity through ethernet or wifi. Also not restrained by Cinavia. You might find ripping your BRs onto a HDD might be quite useful anyway.

Your receiver doesn't support DTS HD. So you can just rip yr BRs as iso. It'll load faster than yr PS3 and less noisy too.

Its a simple option.

Cheers, as far as I know I get HD audio by sending LPCM via HDMI to the receiver?

I've now got the AV sync working by sending the audio from the TV to the receiver via optical but it's not really what I'm after :(

Yes, LPCM is the raw format which things like CD are encoded. Its the same as wav.

DTS-HDMA is 7-channel lossless audio, but with encoded to make it smaller. Its similiar to FLAC or ALAC. Lossless, but smaller than LPCM/wav. So you do need decoding. Same applies to DD TrueHD.

Your source could read and send the signal out to your receiver, but your receiver may not be able to decode the HD content. It will revert to the DTS core or DD (AC-3) track which is the base material in the HD signal.

The bandwidth supported by optical only goes up to DTS/AC3. So if that's all your receiver supports, then it doesn't matter.

Lossless music is only 2 channel, so optical should be able to support it. But depends on various receivers input on how high a bitrate and depth is supported. CD quality is 16bit/44.1khz. That would be universally supported. If you connect say a USB/HDD to your BR Player which support lossless plkayback, the FLAC or any digital format will already be decoded by your BRP to LPCM and passed to the receiver without further decoding required. If the track is of higher bit rate, say 24 bit/192khz which is not supported by your receiver, it will downsample it as 16bit/44.1khz minimum. But its going to specifics and there isn't much 24 bit content around.

The advantage of using an affordable media streamer like WD TV Live is you can actually decode and repackage multichannel content like DTSHDMA/DDTHD so that the hardware doesn't need to do any decoding. Audio content is sent straight to your receiver as LPCM via HDMI, which can handle the higher data load. All your receiver has to do is convert the digital signal to analogue.

In practice of course, its quuestionable how much you might notice the difference. Depends on your rig, your listening environment and your ears. Most ppl agree the difference is that lossless movie tracks have a larger, fuller soundstage.

The other option is to consider using a HTPC with BR drive. All present day CPUs these days have onboard graphics and HDMI output to carry video signals and audio passthrough (yes, alas the day of the soundcard is truly over!).

PCs are versatile and its all a matter of getting the right software. Most laptops have HDMI outs as well, such as the ridiculously affordable Asus Transformer Book T100.

WD TV Live is a media streamer that costs £70 at Currys/PC world. It plays all music, mkvs, network connectivity through ethernet or wifi. Also not restrained by Cinavia. You might find ripping your BRs onto a HDD might be quite useful anyway.

Your receiver doesn't support DTS HD. So you can just rip yr BRs as iso. It'll load faster than yr PS3 and less noisy too.

Its a simple option.
Yes, LPCM is the raw format which things like CD are encoded. Its the same as wav.

DTS-HDMA is 7-channel lossless audio, but with encoded to make it smaller. Its similiar to FLAC or ALAC. Lossless, but smaller than LPCM/wav. So you do need decoding. Same applies to DD TrueHD.

Your source could read and send the signal out to your receiver, but your receiver may not be able to decode the HD content. It will revert to the DTS core or DD (AC-3) track which is the base material in the HD signal.

The bandwidth supported by optical only goes up to DTS/AC3. So if that's all your receiver supports, then it doesn't matter.

Lossless music is only 2 channel, so optical should be able to support it. But depends on various receivers input on how high a bitrate and depth is supported. CD quality is 16bit/44.1khz. That would be universally supported. If you connect say a USB/HDD to your BR Player which support lossless plkayback, the FLAC or any digital format will already be decoded by your BRP to LPCM and passed to the receiver without further decoding required. If the track is of higher bit rate, say 24 bit/192khz which is not supported by your receiver, it will downsample it as 16bit/44.1khz minimum. But its going to specifics and there isn't much 24 bit content around.

The advantage of using an affordable media streamer like WD TV Live is you can actually decode and repackage multichannel content like DTSHDMA/DDTHD so that the hardware doesn't need to do any decoding. Audio content is sent straight to your receiver as LPCM via HDMI, which can handle the higher data load. All your receiver has to do is convert the digital signal to analogue.

In practice of course, its quuestionable how much you might notice the difference. Depends on your rig, your listening environment and your ears. Most ppl agree the difference is that lossless movie tracks have a larger, fuller soundstage.

The other option is to consider using a HTPC with BR drive. All present day CPUs these days have onboard graphics and HDMI output to carry video signals and audio passthrough (yes, alas the day of the soundcard is truly over!).

PCs are versatile and its all a matter of getting the right software. Most laptops have HDMI outs as well, such as the ridiculously affordable Asus Transformer Book T100.

Thanks for the detailed reply!!

No worries. Took me a while to figure all this out when I embarked on my upgrade journey few months ago. Thought would save others the trouble!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom