1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip sync? Has broadcasters got better

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StooMonster, Oct 29, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Has anyone else noticed that lip sync on BBC in particular has improved dramatically over the last few months?

Everyone (who knows their stuff about broadcasting) knows that displays which involve processing (LCDs, plasmas, and deinterlacers like iScan Ultra) are typically not the root cause of lip sync issues, but compounders of an already existing problem.

I used to have terrible problems on some programmes, like Newsnight or Question Time, where the lip sync looked almost seconds out -- like a badly dubbed foreign film. (Probably serious compounded both by my Panny5-50" and iScan Ultra.)

But recently, I have barely noticeable at all; even when I've been looking out for it. My "real world benchmark" (Mrs StooMonster) used to complain about lip sync all the time, but she hasn't moaned about it once recently; and says it's only slightly out now, which is probably due to the processing.

Do you think the broadcasters read this humble forum and may have paid attention to the fact that sloppy lip sync can be seen when writ big on a large digtally processed screen? :)

Or am I dreaming and it's as bad as it's always been? :(

StooMonster

2. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that I have to switch my sky box off and then back on to resolve any lip sync issues. Tonight 'Teachers' was seriously out, a good couple of seconds. The sky box had not been powered off for a while, but a quick boot sorted it.

Strange

3. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, StooMonster, you are sitting further away from your 50" screen, so it takes longer for the sound to reach your ear ...:devil:

Us 43" people are closer, so the sound reaches us faster.

Regards,

PVR

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Well I haven't moved my seating position PVR, I still sit about 5m away from screen.

I recon BBC in particular is getting less sloppy with syncing sound and video, which was never as noticeable on smaller and interlaced screens.

Alternative theory: I do have a second Sky+ box, the other one having blown up. Perhaps this one is better than the last?

But I don't think turning Sky box on/off makes any kind of difference, because why would different programmes on same channel have different lip-sync? Waiting for a change of programme or changing channel fixes lip-sync better than turning the box off. Perhaps a more specific example is a news programme like BBC TWO's Newsnight, where different news sections can be better or worse, or when Jeremy Paxman is in the studio with perfect lip-sync and someone is on live feed with bad lip sync -- turning off one's digibox doesn't sort that out!

StooMonster

5. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can spot lip sync issues from 40 mile :D and can say that recently (dunno which channels) the problem seems to be less than before :)

Why does one channel suffer more than another? this surely cant be my setup!

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I agrree with StooMonster. I am satellite fun, I use a motorised dish and have two satellite receivers. I can easily demonstrate on various stations that most lipsync issue reflect the type of quality bandwith the particular station is using. I used to see some problems with BBC terrestrial freeview that seem to have gone away in the last three months and I see no change when I installed the new 434 from the 433 plasma. What is important to highlight is the fact that the digital terrestrial improvement happened just after BBC went totally free-to-air on satellite outside the Sky package. If you have a satellite receiver (sky box will do) you can test and compare the signal from terrestrial BBC and BBC on satellite. You will find that the satellite signal is completely free of any lipsynch issue (and the picture is better!)

7. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi guys,

slightly off topic I know but I noticed these sync problems myself whilst capturing shows and authoring archive disks for my own collection.

When I'm capturing shows and authoring them in DVD LAB I almost always have to use the freeware AC3 DELAY to add a "-62ms" (I.e. strip the first few audio frames) from the AC3 file before it is in sync even though it was synced when recorded.

Even watching "live" from the digibox there sometimes seems to be a delay on a CRT screen. Sky seem to be by far the worst offenders in this and I've sometimes had to strip over 120ms to get Sky One shows in sync.

Probably not much use to you plasma guys who are trying to watch a live feed and dont have a delay box but it shows there seems to be a quantifiable sync problem ! :(

Cheers

Edz

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Having recently joined (Last Week) the band of plasma users, Panny 37PW5, today I watched morning BBC news on BBC2 and started noticing lip sync problems. I changed to CH4, WRC Rally, and all was fine, then back to BBC2 and again out. Then when Clive Andersons show came on it seems ok.

I use the Panny Tuner box which is supposed to negate this problem.

This is a pain having enjoyed CRT trouble free for many years :(

9. phaeton_v10

phaeton_v10
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just started watching BBC2 through an Amstrad Sky+ box. Over the last week there are a lot of lip sync problems. Its not the AV Amp (Denon AVR2805) as it does it directly through the TV (Panasonic TX36PF1) as well. Other channels (BBC and Sky) are ok and some programs on BBC2 are ok.