LIP-SYNC DELAY - Video is ahead of audio, how to fix it???

MacF55

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first time posting, please be kind as I am new to this and value your opinions.

I have just set up a 5.1 surround in my room and after connecting everything the lip sync is annoyingly out. My AV receiver is a Denon AVR x2600 and I have Kef 3001’s with a BK sub. My TV is a Samsung 4K 55” MU6400.

After reading a lot of posts on here I still haven’t found out what the key problem is and how it can be fixed. I have the AVR connected to the TV via hdmi arc and also an Xbox connected to the avr. I am finding it is most out of sync when I play content through the TV’s built in streaming app. If playing content through the Xbox it is not as bad.

As the video is ahead of the audio I cannot use the in built audio delay on either the TV or the AVR. I have tried to ad as many enhancing processes to the video in the TV but I am probably missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

It could be a handshake issue. Turn the TV off and back on to force a new handshake. If that doesn't work then turn off the receiver and then back on. It happens with my Denon X6200 and a Panny OLED. Turning off and on usually cures it.

If the video is ahead of the audio, you definitely have an audio delay configured somewhere, which is too large. The Denon AVR-X2600 defaults to automatic delay configuration (the actual amount is established by the TV). See page 173 of the manual (AVR-X2600H) for how to adjust the Denon's lip sync delay. You'll also want to check your TV's setup to see how it handles delay internally, it may also be automatic, and you only want this done once (TV or AVR, not both).

Thank you very much for your replies Gibbsy and Mark.

I tried turning the TV off and then back on and did the same with the Denon but there is still and delay. I then turned them off at the plug but unfortunately it is still there. Should I leave one on whilst turning the other off at the plug?

In regards to the TV delay, in the advance audio menu on the TV there is a delay setting which is at 0. After reading some other posts on the forum I also turned off the automatic lip sync function on the Denon to see if that helped as I can’t find if my TV is compatible with this function.

And this is where I am stuck. I wouldn’t mind if the audio was ahead of the video because I know I can then delay it manually. The strange thing is the delay is not as bad when playing content on the Xbox through the Denon rather than the Streaming apps on the TV.

I am not sure if it makes a difference but I am using the AudioQuest Pipeline cable that came with this receiver.

Thanks again for your help.

Try using an optical connection from the TV. For some reason it can be far more stable. You will lose Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos content. I've done this with my Panny OLED and lip sync did improve and was less problematic than with HDMI especially with Netflix. As my TV cannot pass Atmos I didn't lose anything.

Oh great I will try that. Netflix definitely seems the most problematic.

Is there any particular optical cable you would recommend?

Just a basic one from Amazon.

Perfect, I will order now. Thank you both for your quick help. I really appreciate it.

Once it arrives I’ll let you know the results.

Hi all,

So I have my optical cable and have attached it from my TV to the AVR. I currently have my HDMI Lead running from ARC HDMI3 on the TV to ARC on the AVR. Should I remove this and run the HDMI lead from HDMI on the TV(non-arc) to TV/cable in on the AVR?

Also i don’t want to lose the CEC facility. Is this only available using ARC?

Thanks for your help.

imply select the audio source associated with the optical input on the AV receiver when wanting the receiver to handle audio sourced via the TV. Do this rather than using ARC to access this audio.

Depending upon the TV, you may need to configure the TV's ausio/speaker output so that optical is used as opposed to HDMI ARC?

You'll still have HDMI Control capabilities as long as HDMI Control is enabled on both the TV (Anynet) and the AV receiver and the 2 devices are connected via HDMI. You may want to turn off HDMI ARC onboard the AV receiver though in order to prevent the TV auto switching the AV receiver to the ARC audio source.

Thanks Dante. So should I leave the HDMI cable in the ARC slots on the TV and AVR?

Yes. Simply turn ARC off from within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations if you don't wish to use ARC. Also ensure that the TV's speaker setting is set to the option that relates to the TV's optical audio output.

Ok great, I am now getting audio.Thank you.

i am now finding when running through optical out though the overall sound certainly seems flatter than before. I am on Dolby Digitial rather than DD plus, is this because DD+ is higher quality?

My AVR settings are:

I have cinema EQ - on
MultiQ XT - reference
Dynamic EQ - off
Dynamic Vol.- off

On TV Settings I have Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) turned on.

Also for the AVR to use optical in put from the TV I have to turn HDMI control off. Is this with all Denon receivers or is there a way to use optical and HDMI control without using ARC.

Do these settings all look right or is there anything else I need to do? Should I run Audyssey XT set up again?

DD+ can have a higher bitrate than standard DD, but it is still regarded as being SD in nature. The other advantage associated with DD+ is that Atmos metadata can be packaged with it and conveyed via HDMI or ARC. S/PDIF optical cannot however convey DD+. It should be said that just bacause DD+ can have a higher bitrate isn't to say that it always will have a higher bitrate. Many services prefer using it simpy because it is a more efficient form of compression than that associated with standard DD and the bitrate may not actually be any different.

Thee's no need to rerun Audyssey again unless you changed the speakers or their locations.

HDMI Control can be left on and used if not using ARC. ARC is reliant upon HDMI CEC, but HDMI CEC isn't reliant upon ARC. AS long as HDMI CEC is enabled onboard the TV and the AV receiver and while both devices are connected via their HDMI CEC compliant input and output then you can continue to use HDMI Control.

Last edited:
That is really good to know about DD and DD+ as the lip sync issue is now fixed I think I will keep to the optical cable. Thank you both for sorting that.

In regards to the HDMI control, I don’t know if I am missing something but in the Denon menu if I turn HDMI control on, the arc turns on and I can’t turn it off. If turn HDMI control off then it blank out any option for HDMI control. I have attached screen shots as I would love to use HDMI control but not use ARC as my audio source.

Photos:

Attachments

• AF6645C7-F439-43E1-8439-F692F57CE3DE.jpeg
    AF6645C7-F439-43E1-8439-F692F57CE3DE.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 594
  • 9B0AA6C9-EE81-494E-9A5A-E598204E7FA6.jpeg
    9B0AA6C9-EE81-494E-9A5A-E598204E7FA6.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 729
The ARC setting will automatically turn on the HDMI Control setting if turned on, but If you rurn off the ARC setting then the HDMI Control setting should remain on. ARC is reliant upon HDMI Control, but HDMI Control isn't reliant upon ARC.

Turn HDMI Control on and turn ARC off.

You shouldn't technically be having the issue you are having and you should be able to set HDMI Control and ARC independently of each other.

Maybe try putting the TV and the receiver into standby and then powering them back up. THis should insyogate a new HDMI handshake between them. Also ensure that there's no HDMI ARC setting on the TV and if there is then turn that off too. Don't turn Anynet off though because you'd need that for HDMI Control.

Last edited:
I have just put both devices is standby and started them up again and unfortunately it hasn’t solved it.

When is turn HDMI Control on it automatically turns on ARC and you can’t turn it off. It is almost the opposite from above as I am able in the menu to turn Arc on but HDMI control off.

I also checked my TV Samsung 4K MU6400 and there is an anynet setting which is on but no ARC setting in the TV. It really has me stumped.

Photo 3:

Attachments

• 4B61E110-F70B-4BB6-850B-2C3080C8ACB6.jpeg
    4B61E110-F70B-4BB6-850B-2C3080C8ACB6.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 850
Here is my input assign menu as well:

Attachments

• CA1CAE96-EB73-49DD-A88D-9A76660EE454.jpeg
    CA1CAE96-EB73-49DD-A88D-9A76660EE454.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 582
I have lip sync issues occasionally. I found the quickest route is just to rerun the room calibration if all sources are out by varying amounts. I also dropped HDMI between tv/AVR a few years back in favour of optical which defiantly lessen the frequency of issues.

As you found, it's usually the inbuilt apps the pose the most problems, but not always. I had real headache recently when watching Sopranos on disc. 1 disk would work fine on 0ms, next was 300ms out and the third 30ms. On and on it went through 6 seasons...

Yes I have a feeling that might what I am going to have to live with for a while, maybe eARC will solve the problem. But I won’t be able to afford one of those TV’s for a while 😁 I am just surprised there isn’t any kind of VITC that runs with each broadcast, Video, no matter what source to ensure the receiver can match the time codes and always have correct lip sync.

Fair play to you for keeping with 6 seasons of Sopranos at differing audio delays. I haven’t seen it yet but it must be a good series to put up with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom