My set up.

Panasonic Viera plasma tv (8yrs old)
Non atmos 5.1 monitor audio speaker system & sub
Sky q 2tb box
Denon avr-x3600
Apple TV
Panasonic Blu ray player

I run a hdmi 2.0 cable from hdmi2 (arc) to the monitor out of the avr

I run hdmi 2.0 cables from my sky box , blu ray player, Apple TV etc to respective inputs on the avr.

The avr was bought to replace an Onkyo thx-nr616 which I had set up for YEARS without any lip sync issues at all.

I set up the denon exactly the same as the Onkyo except I replaced all the hdmi cables from 1.4 to 2.0

Problems with lip sync were immediate. Especially on Sky. A little but not much on Apple TV.

NB THE VIDEO IS AHEAD OF THE AUDIO SO SKYTV AND THE DENON AUDIO DELAY FEATURES ONLY MAKE THE ISSUE WORSE.

After reading forums aplenty I have tried to correct the problem without success. I have tried:-

Replacing the new hdmi cables with the old ones - no success

Turning off arc both on the tv and avr- no success

Setting up an optical cable from sky tv to the avr and assigning its input to optical - no success

Scrolling through input modes to try and correct any handshake issues - no success

Ensuring ALL image processing on the tv is off (it doesn’t have any audio / delay correction features)

Firmware on all systems up to date - no success

Am now stumped. Please, anyone any helpful ideas?

Finally , is lip sync a fault? Can I return the denon? Have only had it a few weeks.

I know SkyTV has issues with Dolby but the fact my old Onkyo worked perfectly leads me to think the problem is with the Denon.

Many thanks for any help received

gibbsy

I don't have any trouble with SkyQ other than to retard the audio by 80ms. The Amazon Prime app on my TV to the Denon via optical is spot on. Netflix is hit or miss. I shut off the TV and the Denon and turn back on to force a new handshake, usually cures the Netflix problem. Netflix can be a problem even after going straight from Prime to Netflix without interruption. I've long given up on ARC.

jobe

Standard Member
Thx Gibbsy
Have turned off ARC . Handshaking unfortunately dies not fix the issue, and as the video is AHEAD of the audio no delay features of the sky box or avr help.

jobe

Standard Member
Have been offered a replacement unit, am concerned another denon would have the same issues. Anyone else have audio / lip sync issues with denon?

jobe

Standard Member
Replaced - hi everyone, have accepted a Denon avr-x4500 as an upgrade/replacement,

hope all will go well this time.

gibbsy

Replaced - hi everyone, have accepted a Denon avr-x4500 as an upgrade/replacement,

hope all will go well this time.
That's a result. Certainly a better unit, more headroom and AL32 processing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom