1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip Sync and Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Apr 16, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,560
    I slip sync a myth or reality.

I'm about to buy my kit and will be going for a 42" NEC VR5. I've read a lot about lip sync and I know that Sky are quite capble of introducing it by themselves regardless of equipment used.

What I would like to know, is Sky self induced problems aside, do you guys find lip sync an issue.

The reason I ask is that I would like to buy a Denon amp because I like the look of them or possibly a slim amp (pioneer etc) because my wife likes the look of them.

Within my budget (< £250) I cannot get a delay function unless I go for a Yammy 450 - but whilst the Yammy may be functionally fine I just don't like the look of it (weird colour and 'in your face' orange display).

So my dilemma is whether lip sync really exists (noticable to mere mortals) - is it safe to go for the Denon 1705/1905 that I like or should I play it safe and go for the Yam 450.

Note

the Sky lip sync problems are a different matter. They are noticeable and I put up with them. I also assume that a 'delay' wouldn't help because they vary from day to day and channel to channel.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    reading peoples comments here and based upon my own experience there doesn't seem to be any definite situation in which it can occur...it does appear to be random regardless of kit..........I do have a yammy (which i am very pleased with, including aesthetically) and i just leave it on -60 delay which is enough to cure any problem yet enough to cause any problem where it doesn't exist......just seems an ideal setting for both sky and dvd...To answer your other question, if you get lip sync you will definitely notice it......it's not just for ultra picky audiophiles :)

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Lip sync delays are very real. Partly as a result of my lobbying, the manufacturer I work for now fits lip-sync correction on all newly introduced plasma and LCD TVs. As you say, Sky do indeed have their own problems but the increasing use of DTT and now IDTVs has also increased the need for it. The lip-sync performance of many TVs is just about acceptable on analogue broadcasts, but when you add DTT or Sky, most people can see it.

One thing I noticed during our testing is that most of the Japanese staff with whom I work on testing and developing new products cannot actually see lip-sync problems, even when they are very obvious to me. My theory is that this is because they are so used to watching dubbed films and TV programmes. This could be why many manufacturers have been slow to add it.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem with lip sync is that it can be a variable delay, so although adding a fixed delay may lessen the problem, it may not completely cure it. You do get the occasional problem with Sky and Freeview, but it's not that frequent. I'm convinced that the majority of lip-sync issues are caused by poor quality electronics both in the lower-priced TV's and in cheaper amplifiers which incorporate DD processing.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    i find it certainly cures it to at least a below noticeable level...i.e. it may still be there in some cases but the fixed setting i use means i don't see it.......though a purist may. Strangely Nick I don't seem to get it on the tiny which i still have in another room....with a crap amp hooked up to it with no audio delay feature

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe the "crap amp" and the Tiny are introducing similar delays, and cancelling each other out ? :)

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    :D hadn't thought of that!!

8. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,560
    Which amps have lip sync delay support

I already know that Yammy suppports it from the 450 upwards

For Denon it apears quite high in the range - the 2105 I think

What about others ?

Cheers,

Nigel

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
  10. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,560
    Mep,

Think this is only a fix if you already have an amp without 'delay'.

But if you haven't the price of the unit (£125) is more than paying for a better amp so is not an economical approach.

Cheers,

Nigel

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £125????? £145 with vat and delivery!!!!!!!! 3 of them = an amp with delay

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    just a thought

13. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nheather: Lip sync is not a myth, it is a genuine problem. I purchased a Yamaha RXV650 to fix this problem in my setup. I picked this amp up for £230 (if you want more details I can let you know). I believe that the display can be switched off, if that disturbs you.

James

14. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,560
    horydragon

Yep missed the VAT and my words didn't come out quite right.

What I was trying to say was that the price of an amp without delay plus the felston unit works out more expensive than an amp with a delay.

So the felston is only a consideration if you already have the amp without delay.

Cheers,

Nigel