1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lip Sych (again!)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nobbydog, Oct 9, 2003.

1. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Old topic, I know, but still got a question -

As the lip synch problem only appears on one or two channels (I've read the threads about compression/quality of broadcasts) how would a delay box help if you flick between channels. The point I'm making is that you may well set the delay to compensate on one channel, but as soon as you change channels to one that did not have a problem, IT would then be suffering the delay set in the delay gizmo.

Hope that makes sense, just want to avoid spending on an expensive delay device only to find that I have to get out of the armchair to re-adjust the delay every time I change channels.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I'm not sure that this is 100% accurate but........

Because, in nature, light travels faster than sound, we are accustomed to seeing before hearing (by a tiny margin). In other words, we tolerate, or even don't notice, minor delays to the sound.

In nature, sound will never arise before light, so we detect (and are annoyed by, if that's the right term) early sound much more readily than delayed sound.

The reason lip synch errors are so apparent, then, is because they invariably arise because of a delay in picture processing (in other words, the picture is late, or the sound is early) And we can't tolerate even the smallest picture delay.

However, we CAN tolerate relatively large sound delays.

So, if you delay your sound to the point where it coincides exactly the latest picture, if and when the picture gets earlier, you are much less likely to notice.

You can prove this by using a video editor on a PC. Load up a video file, then try experimenting with moving the soundtrack back and forth in the timeline and previewing the result. You will find that you have much more tolerance for late sound, than early.

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not simply build a head mounted time machine that will enable you to send your ears backwards in time by a few milliseconds. In this way they will be hearing something that has already happened, by which time the picture will have caught up.

Alternatively some spectacles that send your eyes forward in time will have the same effect.

4. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats all well and good for you 'humans' but the local pet shop told me that the dog version is still in development. I was told last time I was taken down there for some biscuits and treats that the delay in the dog version being released was due mainly to problems during consumer testing - apparantley the buggers won't keep still long enough, one cat and the're gone!!
    :laugh:

5. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dogs watching television?

Don't be absurd!