Lions Match not HD?

hdsport

After all the promos about being HD it appears SKY may have been a little economical with the truth.

Flicked over at the start to see the title sequence (sad like that) it looked HD and the studio (at Twickenham) was HD too (as was the DOG) flicked over during an ad in the FA Cup coverage and the HD dog is gone and the match footage (from Supersport) is upscaled (with SKY's HD graphics) and the EPG now is only showing W. :mad: Was looking forward to watching it in full (and the England game) once the Cup final was over.

Wednesday's game still says HD still on the EPG, as I've only just flicked over briefly if anyone has been watching heard them say anything about it?

Last edited:

gwladok5

This is an interesting one!

My "Sammie" was indicating a "1920 x 1080i" feed but the picture was deff not HD!

Also the Sky top right caption changed from HD1 to ordinary Sky during the broadcast

Comments from Sky please?

hdsport

This is an interesting one!

My "Sammie" was indicating a "1920 x 1080i" feed but the picture was deff not HD!

Also the Sky top right caption changed from HD1 to ordinary Sky during the broadcast

Comments from Sky please?

I'd love to here something from SKY on this too...having now watched the entire broadcast....

The match coverage was clearly SD from Supersport (the pan-Africa Sports Network). Sky seemed to have a couple of HD cameras themselves for the prematch and for some extra shots for analysis, as well as providing HD graphics.

They have occasionally had HD studio stuff for the Champions League even if the coverage was SD but considering this has been promoted massively as being in HD (even in the SKY sponsored Telegraph supplement where they had Miles and Stuart discussing how great HD is for rugby).

Normally in the intro (and just before the kickoff) the presenter (Simon Lazenby in this case) would say something like "It's the Royal XV vs the Lions on SKY Sports 1 and available in high definition on SKY Sports HD1 which is channel 408" today we had none of that but he still promoted Wednesday's game as being on SS2 and SSHD2! So either it's very dodgy advertising or they had some sort of problem today.

Last edited:

Starburst

Novice Member

Well you were watching a HD channel so the resolution being reported is correct regardless of the source material, a loop hole in the global recognition of HD is that it's purely related to resolution.

I suppose we should be grateful that most broadcasters make it obvious when source material is native SD or HD apart from technical glitches or sloppy housekeeping.

uno

The beauty shots and the pre match footage and interview with the coach were HD but the actual game was upscaled SD.

I wonder if it was due to the game being outside of a main area of SA.

One of the main aims of covering this Lions tour in HD is so SABC,Telkom and Air Time the main outside broacast provider in SA can test all the broadcast infrastructure for next years Football world cup.

I know the plan was to have a fibre broadcast network in HD so it maybe this stadium isnt done yet or the truck used was not HD

The Monk

Novice Member
I've sent Sky and the Advertising Standards guys an email for a response. Given the pictures are coming from Supersport in SA their website suggests the next two games are not due for HD treatment either.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I've sent Sky and the Advertising Standards guys an email for a response. Given the pictures are coming from Supersport in SA their website suggests the next two games are not due for HD treatment either.

Have you heard anything back ?
I got the whole family coming round tonight to watch the Lions Game in HD.....not happy if its just SD :thumbsdow

Deftones

The Monk

Novice Member
Have you heard anything back ?
I got the whole family coming round tonight to watch the Lions Game in HD.....not happy if its just SD :thumbsdow

Deftones

Nothing yet other than an acknowledgment from ASA. I'm away from home for a few days - would be interested in tonight's quality - given that the host broadcaster isn't broadcasting game in HD.

The Monk

Novice Member
Response from Sky is that the game was in SD due to the host Broadcaster switching their HD resources to the Super 14 at the last minute.

This is quite fair as the S14 final location was only known the week before but was surely a potential that Sky were more than aware of.

They could have also explained this to viewers - or even shown the S14 Final in HD to make some amends!!

All other games will be HD.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Response from Sky is that the game was in SD due to the host Broadcaster switching their HD resources to the Super 14 at the last minute.

This is quite fair as the S14 final location was only known the week before but was surely a potential that Sky were more than aware of.

They could have also explained this to viewers - or even shown the S14 Final in HD to make some amends!!

All other games will be HD.

Makes sense :thumbsup:

Last nights was HD....well it was better than SD anyways :smashin:

And a great win too :D

Deftones

gary965

Last night versus the Sharks the picture was somewhere between HD and SD. The grass was very poorly defined and yet the players did not look too bad on some cameras at least.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom