Linx 10 tablet advice

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by Jason56d, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Hi and has anyone got one of these? Seen pretty good reviews of them in most places.

I currently have an iPad 3 (I think?), and iPad mini (work issue that has to be with me when at work obviously) and a Nexus 7 (rarely used now).

When I am am spare or cover at work, I use my iPad to watch TV shows and films (Yes, I know it's nice work.....) on SkyGo, Netflix and Amazon Instants. But I find the 4:3 aspect ratio damn annoying! Even though it is a really nice screen, It is not the best for watching media IMO.

That's why I was thinking of getting the cheap Linx 10 primarily to watch stuff on as it has an aspect ratio on 16:10 (has it?) and therefore closer to the standard 16:9. Plus, as it's basically a mini PC running Windows 8.1, when I am out I can use it to do anything else as well. I would still have my iPad mini with me anyway for the apps and gumpf that I need.

So, how is it for watching things on? Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. JA9541

JA9541

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a suface pro 2 running windows 8.1 and if your main use is watching tv and web browsing the you'll love it.

3. stunno

stunno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    I have one, bought it off the classified part of these forums, and it is a very good tablet. It will, more or less, do everything that a normal windows pc will do.

I don't use it now as I got a good deal on a surface pro 3, but it is a cracking tablet for the money

4. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Not tried the linx myself but like JA9541 I've got a surface pro 2, surprised me that I actually like windows 8.1 once I used it with a touch screen instead of a mouse. For media consumption it's the best tablet I've owned, windows with vlc has played everything I've thrown at it and there is apps if you need them, but the joy of windows is they will work in the web browser regardless of app availability. Only downside I can see with the linx is the screen resolution isn't quite as good, if you can find a cheap windows tablet with a few more pixels I'd definitely recommend it, I'm very pleased I chose one to take traveling after watching countless people struggle with iPads and Samsung tabs for some tasks and the windows machine hasn't put a for wrong since leaving home.

5. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Now looking at the Lenovo Miix 3 (newest version).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00T4BPFAG/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

It is still 10.1, but resolution is 1920 x 1200. Only £25 more at £200.

I was going to use vlc on it anyway, but how does the screen look for films etc ratio wise? Better than iPad?

6. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    the SP2 is 1920x1080 so it's pretty much spot on for blu ray rips, i'd imagine the ratio would be better than an ipad, I still get black bars but that's the same as watching the files on a TV. It's all i've got but I prefer it over my old asus tf300 and 1st gen hudl that i used to use, I actually prefer it over the TV i've got it plugged in to at the moment but it's just a pain positioning it with the hard drive attached

7. ProfDarkart

ProfDarkart
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Linx 10 is a good tablet for the price, and really comes into its own as a fully fledged Win 8.1 when you need it to. OH has one but battery life isn't great and WIndows 8.1 takes some getting used to - she still prefers her iPad 2<sigh>. Screen is nice, audio is a bit muffled. Great value for the screen size. I must admit that I still use my old Nook HD+ for all my rips as the screen is so great and it accepts a 64gb card!

8. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Thanks for the replies.

Think I need to get down myself to John Lewis to see one in action. Wonder how open they would be to me taking my OTG cable and USB stick to check a few files out??? Does it come with Media Player installed as I doubt it will already have VLC on it?

9. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Can't you install vlc to the memory stick and run it that way? That's if they let you user it

10. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Went into Staples today to have a play with this earlier today. It was nice and quick, but the screen didn't do it for me compared to my iPad. Resolution looked fine, but something lacking? Took my USB stick and OTG cable, but didn't try it as felt funny plugging it in and installing VLC in store! :)

Also went to John Lewis to have a go on the Lenovo Miix 3, but they didn't have one on display. So will have to hunt down a test model elsewhere.

11. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Went to JL @ Brent Cross and they didn't have one on display either?!?!?!

How are you meant to test these damn things before committing to buy? Does annoy me!

Was looking admiringly at the Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 (more my size at 10.8") as it's more iPad price range and was thinking about changing that this year when the new one comes out? Maybe just get a Surface 3 and give my iPad to the wife? Decision to be made soon.

12. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I gave my sister the Linx 10/keyboard bundle sold by Argos for Christmas. It's been great and she absolutely loved it - until last week when it suddenly shut down and has refused to boot up ever since. Full credit to Argos, who gave a full refund without any argument, but it's interesting that they no longer have any local stock of the Linx, nor are they expecting any more. So either an upgraded version is coming out, or Argos are dropping the brand.

I'm currently on the hunt for a replacement Windows tablet for her. Am considering the Lenovo Miix 3 mentioned above.

13. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Well, being the impatient fool that I am, I just ordered the Lenovo MIIX 3 from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow, and I am off work Thursday to set it up and play.

Did contemplate getting a Surface 3, but by the time I get a keyboard and bits, it's going to £500+. That's a lot to stump up seeing I don't like Windows 8 (well on my son's PC anyway). £200 not so bad. Then I can always sell it and get one if I do like it.

Will report back on my findings........

14. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I'll be interested to hear what you think. After much debate we've ordered the Lenova Yoga 2 10". If she doesn't get on with it the Miix 3 is next on the list to try!

15. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Just got home from work and my new toy has arrived........with no battery!!!! Been on charge for 30 mins so far and won't boot on, just battery charging symbol. Did see a reviewer had that issue as well.

Going to watch Jurassic World at 6 with the kids, so will have a go after if the beggar has charged enough.

Feels nice in the hand though and the keyboard feels good.

16. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hope it works!!

17. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
  18. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    So, first impression of the Lenovo Miix 3 are....

I like it. TV & films look amazing on the 1920 x 1200 screen. Speaker sound not brilliant, but neither is it from my iPad. I only use headphones to watch stuff anyway. Keyboard is fantastic! Far better than I expected it to be. Good touch to it and barely any lag to screen. Bit of an issue ATM getting tablet to dock with it first time, but I'm sure practise will ease that.

The only problem I have is Windows 8. Still don't like it, but will persevere.

19. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Windows 8 definitely needs the touch screen, once you figure out the whole swiping from the edges for things like closing apps its quite intuitive. My biggest problem is they aren't standard, apps use it but anything that runs on the desk top the gestures just close the whole desk top.

20. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Great customer service from Amazon as usual. Didn't receive the advertised license key for Office 365 in the box. It was installed on the tablet, just no license.

Contacted Amazon to ask where it was and they offered me 2 options. Return the tablet for a replacement (no chance after I have spent hours getting it to my liking!) or accept a £20 partial refund for the missing license. Yes please! Result as I have a copy of Office 2013 Professional already that I have just installed on it. LOL!

21. mike_6480

mike_6480

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Has anyone used the linx 10 for photo editing i.e. with either photoshop or lightroom?

If so how does it run? I've seen a couple of mentions of it, but nothing in detail

22. johnieutah

johnieutah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Interested in this as well as I need something for photo backups whilst travelling and at the current price point this looks like a no-brainer...

Cheers.

23. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    At £200 I thought it was good value, but now it has dropped to £146 with laptop outlet UK (or something like that) via Amazon or £150 at John Lewis, you'd be mad not getting it. I think its great.

Edit: I should have pointed out to newcomers to this thread, that I bought a Lenovo MIIX 3 and not the LINX 10. I am glad I did as well as the MIIX 3 feels better and performs better than my brief test on the Linx 10. And now it is down to £150, its the same price as the Linx 10 + keyboard.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  24. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27,605
    I have a Linx 7. It's great.

25. Germinator

Germinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I have the Linx 10, cant complain about it considering I paid £79.99 for it. The screen is good even though its only 720p. The wireless can be a bit flaky at times as on many occasions a red x has appeared on the wireless connection, but now seems a bit more stable since I installed other drivers.

26. mike_6480

mike_6480

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Have you used photoshop on it?
    If so what is the performance like?

27. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: