Linux satellite on a pc?

anthony evs

Established Member
Reaction score
OK,

Not sure whether this should have been in this section or the pc section, tossed a coin and this section came up heads.

So, i`ve got a linux based twin tuner sat decoder that i have been using or years, and i`m on the verge of building a htpc media centre pc.

I was considering the purchase of a dvb-s2 pci card, for freesat etc... on astra, then thought, hows about the other stuff......

Is it possible yet to use the pc to do the same kinda stuff that the linux boxes do if you load the emu`s etc.....

Wondering thats all, could make the difference if i buy the dvb-s2 card or not.

I was thinking of upgrading to a twin tuner HD bax like the ipbox 9000 or something like that, but if this can be done, could same me a great deal of cash, as these boxes are still going for over £400.

I havent played with linux tho, but obviously am conversant with emu`s and stuff.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Best regards, Anthony.:D

OK Anthony - you could post in PCs as well. Logi

It`s certainly possible to do everything that a linux based satellite receiver can do with a PC based system, most of the software I`ve used is for windows based machines though (ironic isn`t it!), not sure if the software you`d need is out there for linux. As I understand it many of the (illegal) commercial cardsharing servers are based on linux pc`s rather than a satellite unit.

Hi rcaudwell,

Thanks for the info.

I am not interseted int he cardsharing side of things, was just wondering whether the pc could do the similar things my current relook 400s does. This has been working really well for a while, and i was considering upgrading to an ipbox 9000, same thing with dvbs2 tuners instead of the standard dvbs.

It wold be handy to have the hd stuff for bbc and itv, but also to spin the dish around to hotbird and thor.

Can i do this type of thing thro windows then?

Thanks.

It`s certainly possible to do everything that a linux based satellite receiver can do with a PC based system, most of the software I`ve used is for windows based machines though (ironic isn`t it!), not sure if the software you`d need is out there for linux. As I understand it many of the (illegal) commercial cardsharing servers are based on linux pc`s rather than a satellite unit.

Yes - can drive a motorised dish through windows software; you`d use something like DVBViewer, ProgDVB or some other software (there are loads of others). You can also use a plugin called vPlug for some of the emu side of things. LinuxTV.org - Television with Linux seems to have more info on the linux side of things also.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom