Linux Satellite Box - Alternative to Arris Freesat

colinstone

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, as on another thread, I've had the Freesat 4k UHD 1TB box for 10 days and I am not sure whether to keep it or return to Currys as not fit for purpose. It does have some good features, but .....

Anyway, the Vu+ UNO 4K SE seems to be pretty good. Don't think I need the Ultimo with is quite a few more £££.
8 Channel recording from a unicable LNB is good. Seem to be many options to load a "Freesat" channel list "bouquet" - who came up with that??

My main query is using the OpenVix, or any other software, Autotimer and how to set up?? Particularly want to be able to set a Series record for a programme, Say BBC4 Sky at Night which is monthly and not at the same time each month.
Seen an autotimer screenshot but haven't really located a guide.

Also, what would be a recommended 1TB 2.5"SATA HDD for TV video?? Is it worth going SSD??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Is it worth going SSD??
Only if you want ultimate quiet or if you want to spend more money to achieve no performance improvement (and possibly a shorter life)

Using VIX you can set a single timer or an auto timer. The auto timer sets a repeating timer but allows you to configure a much more granular search criteria if you so wish.

For example you could open the search up to scan all channels, all times, title begins with etc. So you could set an auto timer to scan for ‘Sky at Night’, all times.

TJT1 is correct, do not fit an SSD as they are not designed for DVRs. You ideally want a standard lower RPM drive so that heat is lower and longevity is more likely. I installed a Toshiba L200 in mine but you can also record to a NAS.

A few guides here.

HB

Last edited:
Thanks.

Been looking at the Vu+ UNO 4K SE and OpenVix manuals and quite tempted to give it a try.

But a few Qs:

1. The OpenVix features pics shows OpenEPG. Which has the following:
Recording Timers and Autotimers, easily set timers from EPG guide or set Autotimers to record complete show series.

But I haven't found how to do it. Then looked at the video on installing CrossEPG but didn't see anything either on record timer setting.

So can times be set direct from the EPG or do I have to enter individual start/stop times etc. Like a 1980's VHS recorder??

2. Seems that autotimer for a series of programmes has to have all the details entered manually??

3. Can OpenVix plugins be downloaded to PC and transferred by USB stick?? Or do I need wifi/ethernet connection on the Uno??

Last edited:
Haven't used my vu+ box in awhile but it had openvix I am pretty sure you press green on guide to bring up autotimers?

Worked really well from what I remember. Don't waste your money on SSD get a decent 5400rpm drive such a wd blue.

They have plugin menu and everything is downloaded and installed from there but you will need wifi or ethernet.

Might fire my old box up and update the software and see what's changed.

Yes, timers can of course be set directly from the EPG but with an auto timer you also have the flexibility to amend it if you want to.

For example, I have 2 autotimers set for Match of the Day. Both are set as all days, all channels, unique description and case insensitive. One is set begins with ‘MOTD’ and the other ‘Match of the day’. These two timers now catch all MOTD programmes.

You need it connected to your internet if you want to add extensions. These boxes can also run IPTV and Kodi etc. (I’ve not tried these).

HB

Thanks.
And what does the small inbuilt screen show?
Just a picture when unit is on?
Picture when recording from standby?
Or other information?

Thanks.
And what does the small inbuilt screen show?
Just a picture when unit is on?
Picture when recording from standby?
Or other information?
You can configure it to show various things like channel logo (picon) and even the broadcast picture apparently (I’ve not worked out how to do this - not that I need it).

I’ve set the screen to wake up during activities (channel change etc.) and then go to sleep after 10 seconds or so but you can have it on permanently if you want.

HB

And could the inbuilt screen show recordings, planned timers and the EPG??

Sorry for all the tedious Qs🤔

It supposedly can, yes. However, as previously mentioned I’ve not worked out how to set the screen to display the TV output and I’ve not looked into it any further as I don’t need a minature TV.

Give the guys at World of Satellite a call to discuss things - they are really helpful.

HB

I have just ordered this one: Gigablue UHD Quad 4K 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) ULTRA HD Linux Enigma 2 PVR Receiver
With OpenVix
Then I ordered a 2Tb Toshiba HDD
Let's see what happens, I have now cleaned my pockets!

Sounds great and I've seen that Vu+ and Gigablue have S2X. But when I spoke to WoS last week, they mentioned a glitch with Gigablue and something like waking out of standby?? Can't really recall. Might be worth a call tomorrow??

I mentioned something they said there are no known problems!
I now re-sent a ticket mentioning they told you that.
I guess these problems are usually solved via software, but unless it is something to do with hardware!
Then there will be a chargeback to them!
I 'mainly' record and very rarely watch live programmes.

Will that box only work with a hybrid LNB or would it work with the Sky Q wideband one ?

I'll be interested to hear the outcome.
I also note that Gigablue can transmit audio over a Bluetooth dongle. Which would be really useful for radio.
But I think these posts should be on the Alternative thread I started - Linux Satellite Box - Alternative to Arris Freesat
We'd better move??

I have just ordered this one: Gigablue UHD Quad 4K 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) ULTRA HD Linux Enigma 2 PVR Receiver
With OpenVix
Then I ordered a 2Tb Toshiba HDD
Let's see what happens, I have now cleaned my pockets!

Sounds great and I've seen that Vu+ and Gigablue have S2X. But when I spoke to WoS last week, they mentioned a glitch with Gigablue and something like waking out of standby?? Can't really recall. Might be worth a call tomorrow??

I mentioned something they said there are no known problems!
I now re-sent a ticket mentioning they told you that.
I guess these problems are usually solved via software, but unless it is something to do with hardware!
Then there will be a chargeback to them!
I 'mainly' record and very rarely watch live programmes.

Will that box only work with a hybrid LNB or would it work with the Sky Q wideband one ?

I'll be interested to hear the outcome.
I also note that Gigablue can transmit audio over a Bluetooth dongle. Which would be really useful for radio.
But I think these posts should be on the Alternative thread I started - Linux Satellite Box - Alternative to Arris Freesat
We'd better move??

What type of LNB is required on the dish please ?

What type of LNB is required on the dish please ?

I'm not sure. Probably both OK.I'd call WoS tomorrow??

To take full advantage of the 8 FBC tuners you need a Unicable LNB this will not work with a Sky Q lnb but will work fine with a Standard KU Sky LNB but will be limited in tuner capability

To take full advantage of the 8 FBC tuners you need a Unicable LNB this will not work with a Sky Q lnb but will work fine with a Standard KU Sky LNB but will be limited in tuner capability
Unicable is SATCR, where selected transponders are frequency shifted to fixed UHF IF slots for distribution over coax. I thought theze FBC boxes were basically the same as SkyQ and the ARRIS Freesat box, and accept the full frequency band (low and high bands), frequency shifted to 230Mhz to 2359MHz through two connectors, one for V and the other for H polarity. It's true that some SkyQ FBC LNBs won't work with other FBC capable boxes, but I'm notsure why.

I thought a 2 cable wideband LNB would also give the full 8 channels.

Anyway, I too have ordered the Gigablue UHD 4K and some bluetooth bits. A german forum indicated that a Bluetooth dongle, specifically Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Chip, would provide audio.

I thought a 2 cable wideband LNB would also give the full 8 channels.

Anyway, I too have ordered the Gigablue UHD 4K and some bluetooth bits. A german forum indicated that a Bluetooth dongle, specifically Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 Chip, would provide audio.

With only two tuners that's impossible. The lnb can easily feed 8 tuners. Absolute max is two channels from the same horizontal transponder and two more from either another horizontal transponders or another vertical one.

SCR lnb's are totally different technology.

OK sorted I think/hope. Spoke to WoS who have explained in great clarity. I now understand:
A Universal LNB 2 cable will allow 2 satellite transponders to be selected. On each transponder are a number of TV Channels.
Several TV channels can be recorded from each transponder. So possibly several different programmes at the same time.

A Unicable LNB will allow all 8 FBC tuners to be used, each one on a different transponder. So many TV channels can be recorded simultaneously. The issue with Gigablue was also explained. It is as software glitch that affects Unicable recording. If say the programme on Tuner A stops recording before recordings through Tuner B, power to the LNB is cut off. So anything else recording is also cut off. There are simple workrounds and a revised driver is awaited from Gigablue.

A Wideband LNB is Sky only - Q I think??

Is that all correct??

Last edited:
Unicable is SATCR, where selected transponders are frequency shifted to fixed UHF IF slots for distribution over coax. I thought theze FBC boxes were basically the same as SkyQ and the ARRIS Freesat box, and accept the full frequency band (low and high bands), frequency shifted to 230Mhz to 2359MHz through two connectors, one for V and the other for H polarity. It's true that some SkyQ FBC LNBs won't work with other FBC capable boxes, but I'm notsure why.

OK sorted I think/hope. Spoke to WoS who have explained in great clarity. I now understand:
A Universal LNB 2 cable will allow 2 satellite transponders to be selected. On each transponder are a number of TV Channels.
Several TV channels can be recorded from each transponder. So possibly several different programmes at the same time.

A Unicable LNB will allow all 8 FBC tuners to be used, each one on a different transponder. So many TV channels can be recorded simultaneously. The issue with Gigablue was also explained. It is as software glitch that affects Unicable recording. If say the programme on Tuner A stops recording before recordings through Tuner B, power to the LNB is cut off. So anything else recording is also cut off. There are simple workrounds and a revised driver is awaited from Gigablue.

A Wideband LNB is Sky only - Q I think??

Is that all correct??
I didn't realise that the Gigablue was unicable. The ARRIS freesat box is like the SkyQ box in that it takes two wideband signals for V and H polarity and feeds multiple tuners internaly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom