Linux on external hdd?

Din0Su4r

I was just wandering if it's possible to install Linux onto an external hdd without losing any of the files on it? And is it possible to have all the Linux files in a there own folder and not all in the main directory? Thanks for the help guys :)

echrada

Banned
The fundamental issue is not linux, it is whether the bios of your PC will permit booting from an external drive.

I guess your external drive is connected to your PC by USB. Go to the boot menu of your PC's bios, and see if there is an option to boot from USB. If so, you are in business, just hook up your USB drive, and specify that drive as the install destination when installing from CD.

Din0Su4r

The fundamental issue is not linux, it is whether the bios of your PC will permit booting from an external drive.

I guess your external drive is connected to your PC by USB. Go to the boot menu of your PC's bios, and see if there is an option to boot from USB. If so, you are in business, just hook up your USB drive, and specify that drive as the install destination when installing from CD.
It does, I'll give it a shot then. :smashin:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
You can install Wubi as dual boot on your main drive, it creates a large Windows file and uses that for it's space.
I have used it and removed it, Window XP wasn't affected.

oakie

Like echrada says if your BIOS lets you boot USB you can.
If you have free space create a partition and install to that to keep thing organised - alternatively look at a frugal install of puppy linux at it is only 4 files in a folder.

moody_mark

Standard Member
If you download and burn a Ubuntu CD, then you can boot from the CD and use the "Startup disc creator" under the "System --> Administration" menu. I would recommend you backup your data from the external drive if you need to first. Im usually over cautious, so I would also disconnect my internal HDD first too, the drive lettering in linux can be confusing if you are not used to it, and ive heard of folks formatting the wrong partition which is definitely not desireable.

As the others have said make sure your BIOS allows booting from USB first.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom