linux offerd in Dell laptops

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by lisa burrell, May 1, 2007.

1. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. kaboodle_fish

kaboodle_fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like Ubuntu. It seems to be flavour of the month, but there are distros out there which are more ready out of the box and if the aim is to get people away from Windows then the change needs to be made as smooth as possible.

3. DiBosco

DiBosco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu either, being brought up in the world of Linux with Mandrake (now Mandriva). I had a play with Kubuntu (KDE version of Ubuntu) a couple of weeks ago and hated the whole sudo thing. However. lots of people prefer that way and I'm sure it's just a matter of taste. One of the many wonderful things about Linux is there's something to everyone's particular taste.

All credit to Dell for offering Linux at all. I bought an HP510 laptop and stripped off XP pro for Mandriva. I'm happy with it hardware-wise and the OS works a treat after a little tweaking, but will buy Dell next time as they are supporting Linux and HP won't even return my emails regarding getting my Windows tax back.