1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canary_Jules, May 16, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Hi guys,

Bit of an off the cuff question here as I rush out to B&Q for an afternoon of decorating :suicide: ! Just wondering whether anyone out there has an HCPC running on a Linux OS? Would it be possible? What would it take? Interested in your ideas.

Cheers

Jules

2. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
  3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    There's a linux HTPC forum on the US AV science forums also i believe.

4. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Freevo: http://freevo.sourceforge.net/ is an htpc package for linux machines - havent tried it myself but know a few people that have and they really like it.

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If your after software for a media PC that runs on Linux try mythTV Have a couple of friends that use it and it really is a stunning piece of software.

6. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Thanks Orbital. The screenshots from MythTV look fantastic. Shame no one on this forum seems to have a Linux HCPC. It would have been useful to have quizzed them about quality of results compared to those achieved through the average Windows based HCPC using TT.

I'm about to put together a second HCPC and I'm tempted to try Linux but I'm not all that technically brilliant. Would need to know whether it was worth the bother before starting out!

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Getting MythTV up and running isn't for the faint hearted I’d say that much. My friends who use it are both UNIX system administrators (like myself) so Linux is second nature really. You can get nearly all of the modules for Myth as pre-compiled RPM packages so you don't have to compile from the source code if that sort of thing brings you out in a cold sweat. You can also use package management tools like apt or yum to pull all the packages down that have dependencies on other packages being installed.

Best thing to do is to download the Redhat 9 CD images (or any of the dirstro's like Debian or Slackware) install it and have a look. You'll soon know if it's for you or not. I must admit the feeling of not giving old Bill G another wad for Windoze is almost worth any hassle Linux will give you :laugh:

8. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    My thoughts exactly re Bill Gates! However, I'm the kind of guy that struggled with Basic programming on a ZX81 and Spectrum. The limit of my abilities was copying out lines of code in magazines only to find out they didn't work. Would love to have a go at Linux but not sure I have the strengths required. :(