Linux for smartphone

Hi. I've got two old Windows smartphones which are a bit useless as Microsoft ditched support for them, there are no longer any updates. I have looked into installing android on to them but from my research android OS will not work correctly on a windows phone, much of the hardware functions will not work with Android OS such as sim, memory card Bluetooth and audio which makes it all pointless so Linux is the best option.

Has anybody got any experience with flashing a smartphone for a Linux installation?

Will Linux work on an old Windows phone?

I did try UBports for Ubuntu Touch but its outdated and no longer supported plus it doesn't support Windows phones. I'm thinking that there must be a Linux OS that will work on any smart phone/tablet?

Does anybody have knowledge on this subject?

finbaar

The last mobile phone that ran a Microsoft OS that could be flashed to run "something" else was the HTC Touch HD 2. That device originally Windows Mobile 6.5 but you could flash it to run Android (I think people are still updating it now after 11 years!) and also Windows Phone 7. However later devices that were designed to run Windows Phone 7, 8 and Windows 10 Mobile can’t be flashed top a different OS. It is possible to upgrade some WP8 devices to W10M though, however this isn’t much use really.
Linux is impossible though.

The last mobile phone that ran a Microsoft OS that could be flashed to run "something" else was the HTC Touch HD 2. That device originally Windows Mobile 6.5 but you could flash it to run Android (I think people are still updating it now after 11 years!) and also Windows Phone 7. However later devices that were designed to run Windows Phone 7, 8 and Windows 10 Mobile can’t be flashed top a different OS. It is possible to upgrade some WP8 devices to W10M though, however this isn’t much use really.
Linux is impossible though.
Thanks for the info. Its a shame they can't be flashed. They are both running Windows 10 Mobile but aren't much use. They both have the opera browser aswell and even basic internet browsing can be iffy. Maybe I could trade them in or sell them not that they are worth much. I always like to see if there could be a use for old things rather than chucking them away. They could be neat little devices if only they could be flashed. Oh well. I can't repurpose everything.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom