LINUX DISTROS...BRILLIANT

Pugs1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, having been an MS techie and MS fan since I first started using the WIN 95 OS in anger years ago, I must say that having now had, had enough of privacy and security I reformatted a 4 year old laptop and installed LINUX Mint and all I can say is WOW and further having now installed different Distros of the OS, I'm not going back to Windows. Linux for those whom don't know is free (generally) and comes with all the suites you could ask for..free as well and open source.

I now have WIN10 partitioned on one SSD as a back up for some tasks on OneDrive (not such a prob with Synology NAS doing the sync'ing) and for some MS Office compatibility issues but the main driver is now Linux Mint, LInux KDE Neon Plasma and Linux Zorin...all free, with Libre office, GIMP (I know!) for taking over from Photoshop and Evolution mail connected to MS Exchange. I would highly recommend Linux with extra security and privacy..no dialing home to MS\Google\Apple. A lot less viruses\malware to. Further, it is much quicker than WIN10 and you can run on old hardware quite happily.

If you have had it with the big players, give Linux ago, the OS 'flavours' have progressed a long long way. If I could find a 1TB Cloud for less than 50 quid, I'd bin MS altogether (no google accounts for me!)

Cant wait for the Linux phone to appear, good luck to them.

I've been using Linux since the last century ;) I'd use it on any server, Alpine distribution with only installed what I actually need, but I couldn't use it day-to-day on my work laptop. Way too many compromises...

How are your linux skills when things break? ;)

I've been using Linux since the last century ;) I'd use it on any server, Alpine distribution with only installed what I actually need, but I couldn't use it day-to-day on my work laptop. Way too many compromises...

I don't see many compromises at all, have you tried the more friendlier 'user' distros, Mint, Neon Plasma or Zorin, as examples?

Obviously a bit different to windows(and KDE Neon much nicer to customise) but the trade off IMHO are worth it i.e. secure and privacy minded OS

How are your linux skills when things break? ;)

Fine, picked it up fairly quickly, having been a MS SQL Server consultant its not rocket science ;-)

I don't see many compromises at all, have you tried the more friendlier 'user' distros, Mint, Neon Plasma or Zorin, as examples?

Obviously a bit different to windows(and KDE Neon much nicer to customise) but the trade off IMHO are worth it i.e. secure and privacy minded OS

Fine, picked it up fairly quickly, having been a MS SQL Server consultant its not rocket science ;-)
MS Office, Photo management and editing, smart phone integration, just to name a few.

It’s good but it’s still for the tinkerers. Not a daily driver when you know what Windows or MacOS can do n

MS Office, Photo management and editing, smart phone integration, just to name a few.

It’s good but it’s still for the tinkerers. Not a daily driver when you know what Windows or MacOS can do n

Photo management is all there, GIMP, free. MS Office, have to admit its a mindset leaving it and using LibreOffice but it does the same just some compatibility issues. Smart phone, its all integrated in those distros named. Synology\NAS supported both ways etc. I still have a 'clean' install of WIN10 Pro partitioned off but only use it if for some legacy MS Office stuff. Strange that MS are now going to include a linux kernel in WIN ;-)

Photo management is all there, GIMP, free. MS Office, have to admit its a mindset leaving it and using LibreOffice but it does the same just some compatibility issues. Smart phone, its all integrated in those distros named. Synology\NAS supported both ways etc. I still have a 'clean' install of WIN10 Pro partitioned off but only use it if for some legacy MS Office stuff. Strange that MS are now going to include a linux kernel in WIN ;-)
That kernel has been there for years ;)

Yes it can be done, but it is all compromises as you have highlighted yourself.

If you like tinkering then great.

I am a big fan of Linux Mint 18.3 (I've even donated to it) It's so much more stable than Windows.... No anti virus needed- brilliant! As for Linux phone.. Android is Linux based!!

My other PC has Kubuntu along with Win7 in it. The Linux Distro is running on the 32G Cache SSD (and loaded with space left on it). That's how trim it is. It works great.

But Windows is the big daddy and tons of software for it so it's my main OS.

i've been using mint for the last few years since Win10 decided to screw the screen driver with no apparent fix.

The most noticeable thing is speed, it will boot in about 7 seconds and is ready to go immediately. Win10 has come a long way since and i still use it on my desktop, but Linux is a different story.

The best thing about using Linux for a few years ... discovering how much software you can actually get for £0

Not like the new Librem 5 or the Pine phones that run distros as mentioned here. Completely different to android bloat/spyware OS.

I am a big fan of Linux Mint 18.3 (I've even donated to it) It's so much more stable than Windows.... No anti virus needed- brilliant! As for Linux phone.. Android is Linux based!!

Found a problem today. Gigabyte provide no utility to upgrade motherboard firmware under Linux.

Had to create a bootable USB update stick. No biggie, just annoying.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom