Question Linux Anti-Virus

Venomx999

Also what's the best anti malware/virus. I know you don't usually require one on linux but i feel more confident that way.

Last edited:

Venomx999

Well I tried clam av and clam tk which didn't work as when I scanned it would just freeze

Tried Sophos but there's no GUI, only terminal which is a pain.

Lots of people say no need for av unless you run a server if you search the Web

Last edited:

techquest

If your not going to search on line then I would agree you might reconsider it. But you would also need to make sure you had no internet connection at all, any system can be hacked into if you have the mindset to do it.

How did you install it?

1. Download it from Free Linux Malware Scanner | Lightweight Agent for Linux Malware Detection and Removal | Sophos to your user folder.

2. Type: tar -xzvf ~/sav-linux-free-9.9.tgz -C ~/

3. Type: sudo ~/sophos-av/install.sh

4. Complete the installer.

Venomx999

If your not going to search on line then I would agree you might reconsider it. But you would also need to make sure you had no internet connection at all, any system can be hacked into if you have the mindset to do it.

How did you install it?

1. Download it from Free Linux Malware Scanner | Lightweight Agent for Linux Malware Detection and Removal | Sophos to your user folder.

2. Type: tar -xzvf ~/sav-linux-free-9.9.tgz -C ~/

3. Type: sudo ~/sophos-av/install.sh

4. Complete the installer.
I opened up Terminal, then dragged the install.sh file into it.
Went through the install and at the end it said " Your system is now protected by Sophos "

I couldn't find the installed app anywhere, so after doing some research Sophos is used via the terminal ? Thats no good for me, i'd like a GUI app like bitdefender that you get on windows

Does it run in the background silently ?

Last edited:

Venomx999

Yep thanks
Sophos runs in the background, it has no GUI

Good thing is it detects malicious sites and files before you've opened them

mjn

Distinguished Member
I use ClamAV, never had a problem.

Top Bottom