1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Unidisks

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by a3rmk, Jun 21, 2004.

1. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I went along to Audiofile in Bishop Stortford last week to watch/listen to Linns new Unidisk SC.
    It's a high end DVD and processor one box solution and goes for £3000.
    I have seen the Unidisk 1.1 and in my opinion is the best DVD player bar none so was really looking forward to this new player.
    The rep had the new top processor linked up with the 1.1 and their new Artikulate speaker system and two 5125 amps doing the biamp duties.
    Playing the CDs i took along it was probably the best music system i had heard, one dealer reckons the 1.1 is as good as Linns CD12, but then it was a £32,000 package and believe me you really need to see the picture.
    He then put the Unidisk SC in and after that it was a bit of a let down.
    The steering was still there but everything sounded smaller and weaker, the strong bass from all speakers had vanished and the picture was a big step down.
    A friend of mine came along who has a £80 DVD player and a 4:3 21" TV and even he could see and hear a big difference.
    I realise that i was comparing a £13,000 combo to a £3,000 combo but the SC was not as good as my TAG/Marantz pair at the mo.
    Just a heads up for anybody interested in the SC...or the 1.1.

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Kisto/Unidisk pairing looks the business.

Still haven't heard/seen either :rolleyes:

Adz

3. Turlough

Turlough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It'll have been the Akurates (the Artikulates aren't released yet)

The 5125s should have been running 5 active cards each to run each channel of the Akurates (assuming they were 242s - Linn's 5 way speakers, sort of)

The 1.1 is a dedicated universal disc source and has DVI as well. The SC has an integrated pre-amp and comes in scart and phono flavours. It's a compromise.

The 1.1/Kisto is a thing of beauty. The SC is a thing of economics.

And the 1.1 is not equal to a CD12 on red book, even Linn admit that themselves whatever the sales guy says.

4. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was the Akruate speaker system, should've checked first.
    No active cards were being used, just 5125's straight out of the box.
    There will be a DVI-D upgrade later in the year for the SC but as i said still no where near the 1.1 quality.
    I don't think anyone said the 1.1 was equal to the CD12, calm down, it was just one guys opinion who had heard both.

5. Turlough

Turlough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Then it was a **** poor demo - the 5125s currently come with free Aktiv cards so there's no excuse for not using them. Passive Akurates are no match for a fully active set. The demo should have built around budget and 2 vs 5 channel preferences. You never demo gear going top to bottom - that way you experience that let down you described. No wonder these cowboys were robbed last year - probably forgot to lock up.

There will be an HDMI upgrade 4th quarter this year if Linn ever get their act together. It will be retrofit to the 1.1 & 2.1. They haven't officially confirmed that the SC will have the same or a DVI upgrade.

And the CD12 is definitely ahead of the 1.1 - that's my own opinion and I actually own both.

6. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're not a school teacher are you...i feel like i've just been told off!
    When i enquired about the SC and a DVI/HDMI output to Linn, i was told October'ish.

7. Turlough

Turlough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not you personally, just dealers who don't demo properly. :)

8. simoncope

simoncope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they were demonstrating a 5.1 system, then how on earth would they get a fully Aktiv Akurate system running with only 10 channels of amplification (2 x 5125). I would have to agree with your sentiments if they had been demonstrating a pair of 242s in a stereo-only mode, and not bothered to make it Aktiv. But they didn't. Using 2 x 5125 is a good idea; it lets you extract more performance from your speakers, plus also giving you the option of going 7 channel (leaving the main LRC speakers bi-amped, and the rears an d sides driven normally).

Also, what drives you to refer to Audiofile as 'cowboys'? I'm presuming you have had unfavourable dealings with them in the past for you to post such a disparaging remark?

9. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also have the unidisk 1.1 was originally going for the SC, however was underwhelmed by the demo, hence decided to splash out and get the 1.1 instead. It is certainly a well sounding player, can you please provide more info on the proposed HDMi upgrade.

I agree with Thourlogh that on redbook CD the CD12 sounds better

10. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Could I hijack this thread just a little bit and ask if anyone knows Linn's plans for HDMI overall?

I am about to buy an Exotik and what I'm hoping is that there will be some sort of HDMI switching facility made available as an add on card.

Pie in the sky?

11. Steve Collier

Steve Collier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would like to know the answer to the Linn processor DVI/HDMI question too. Did you find out any further information?

12. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I got an opportunity to have a good long chat with a Linn sales guy here in the U.K - his name was Carl (or Karl).

What came out clearly was that Linn is in no rush to bring out equipment that will switch or make use of HDMI's full audio capability.

(Neither is Arcam either, their new AVP 700 has only the most rudimentary HDMI video switching apparently.)

Also, it is clear Linn toyed with the idea of NOT bringing out the digital audio board for the Exotik. There is now some further delay for this board.

In the absence of clear support for this side of the Exotik I bought a Rotel RSP 1068 to last me for the 2 years or so I reckon it will be before mature HDMI pre/pro's are available.

By mature I mean I want transcoding for input component and s video sources to an HDMI output. Plus, stripping of the multi digital audio side of the HDMI signal for use by the processor.

I am happy with the Rotel.........for now.

PS The Linn rep told me lots about the immediate future for Linn's amp range, as I dont know if it's public knowledge I could pm anyone who asks me.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I wonder why folk want transcoding of analogue to digital inside a pre-amp, or composite to s-video or component. Different sources require different brightness, contrast, colour etc settings. By allowing your amplifier to transcode (usually not very well) you limit the ultimate accuracy and performance capable in your display, unless of course your display has lots of preset memories you can call up dependant on source. In that respect switching and multiple inputs on displays or video processors is a much better idea.....and I'd expect anyone wanting to use an Exotic or Unidisk is interested in performance rather than cost saving of running a single cable from their amp to the display/video processor...or am I wrong?

Gordon

14. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I demo'd the Unidisk 1.1 as a possible multidisc replacement for my main stereo system. I decided against buying one basically because it did everything quite well, very well in certain cases but it didn't do anything (Audio) REALLY well. I don't really feel I've missed out on a great deal. The SVCD and DVD-A formats don't really do anything for me and there is so little choice in media. I was impressed by the video capabilities but having only an old Widescreen TV and no desire to blow £? on a television I felt they'd be wasted.
    I'd imagine anyone who likes their DVD's to be blown away by its performance.

15. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I nearly cabled up my Z3 with individual feeds from every bit of kit, but it would have been quite a lot of cable and I would have had to get some pretty complex macros on my pronto to get the pj to 'follow' the input changes on the pre/pro, seemed a lot of hassle.

I have one HDMI input on my Z3. Once sky have HD with its mandatory use of HDMI and once I have other bits of HDMI kit (it will happen) then I need HDMI switching. Sure it could be with a separate device but, again, it would ideally need to follow input changes on the pre/pro.

Finally, squirting 8 channels of uncompressed digital audio down a cable into a processor if done properly sounds like a recipe for high quality audio. So you would want HDMI inputs to enable this audio content to be handled by your expensive pre/pro.

I know some of this is guessing at the future, what do others think?

16. Steve Collier

Steve Collier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The same point as Gordon made also struck me. Wouldn't the solution rather be to use a scaler such as the iScan HD+? As far as I understand it, this could convert and adjust all video sources to either Dsub or HDMI output, and improve the picture quality along the way. I have a Panny AE700 with one HDMI input currently fed directly from Marantz DV8400 DVD or from an old Linn 5103 for svideo sources and I am considering the iScan as the most worthwhile upgrade befor thinking about an Exotik or Kinos.

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I would check the Iscan can transcode all digital sources to analogue or vice versa. I am not sure whether it does. My preference, of course, is for Lumagen.

Gordon

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    linnite

We may already have just the thing for you and your fellow Linn preamp owning aficionados who need to switch multiple Digital video sources - the Zektor DVS5.1 is a Five input One output DVI (with HDCP) + Digital Audio switcher.

Like the rest of the Zektor range (Component video switchers) the unit acts like a learning remote - once you teach it the codes your Pre amp uses to select a new audio input your video will switch in tandem.

See http://www.zektor.com/dvs51/index.htm

Best regards

Joe

19. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    That looks a useful product and one I will keep a close eye on. Perhaps you could post, or PM me the price it sells in the UK for, maybe the price list for all their products in fact?