1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Speaker upgrades/changes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TimF, Jun 14, 2002.

1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Present system:

Sony 900 dvd
    Linn Mimic cd
    Denon 3802 (for processor - centre and rear speakers)
    Linn Mimic
    Linn Majic (pre amp stage used only) - for front speakers in to..
    Linn LK100 x2 (Aktiv)
    Linn Keilighs (Aktiv)
    Linn Centric (by-wired passive centre)
    1 pair Linn AV 5110 surround speakers
    B&W ASW 500 Sub
    Linn interconnects and LK400, LK20 cable etc)

Questions:

I want to purchase another pair of speakers to go to 6.1 with the denon
    Was going to get another pair of AV 5110's but I am starting to get into SACD and am not sure of these speakers performance (I find it hard to audition properly surround channel speakers) -any other suggestions?

Similarly wondered whether a better sub would be worth it in this system? As you can guess I have built this system from an initial 2 channel set up and upgraded along the way

I love the "linn" sound generally an will probably get another power amp for midrange on the keilighs at some point but any advice on balancing this system better would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    See if you can borrow a pair of Katan's to try. Also is your Cntric one of the Keilidhs on its side originals or is it the thin slabby new one....

I also wouldn;t worry too much about adding a third power amp for the keilidhs. Getting a better per-amp will make a much bigger difference..Oh and if you fancy a bargain Linn are selling Klouts off at £1600 each as they make way for a new power amp....

Gordon

3. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon

Many thanks for your reply

Centric is a "new slabby one - not a keiligh on its side - this was available but much more expensive I seem to remember.

I could probably borrow linn speakers froma dealer but what are the katans for? - rears or fronts - bear in mind I have an aktiv power amp/speaker fronts set up.

You would recommend upgrading the pre-amp stage - what to? - the Kollector or Wakonda (can't really affford the kairn)

Whats your view on the cheap linn av speakers I currently use for surrounds? - they are at least small which goes down well with the wife!

One final option (now that I am really into AV) would be to sell the lot (amps, speakers etc) and start again with a balanced package - what do you think?

Cheers

Tim