1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn or Pioneer?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by swinefevered, Jan 18, 2005.

1. swinefevered

swinefevered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am struggling to decide....Linn Classik Movie Di (I am using Linn classik for audio and multi room) OR Pioneer DV868Avi-s with a Pioneer amp ( I have the Pioneer PDP 504hde plasma)...I will be using Audica CS2 speaker on either. These are very different packages I know but I am quite clueless in this field and could do with the help. Cheers.

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use both Linn and Pioneer in my system (Pioneer AX5i/757Ai and Linn Majik/LK140/LK85/Keilidh/Trikan/Kan) and rate both highly. What's your music/movie balance? I'd have thought that if your listening is music dominated then you might be best served by the Linn but if it's 50/50 or greater in favour of music then I'd go for the Pioneer combo for it's greater audio modes (DTS-ES/DD-EX, DTS 24/96 etc) and HDMI output not to mention the very good i-link connection (if you use an AX5i/Ai or AX10Ai) for 'jitterless' audio transfer or regular and high resolution formats.

3. swinefevered

swinefevered

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im probably about 50/50....do you know how the picture on the Linn compares to that on the HDMI pioneer..is the Pioneer hugely superior?

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe 'most' people would accept that 'most' of the time a digital video connection such as HDMI/SDI/DVI-D is superior to an analogue one. You'll notice the caveats there, but connecting an HDMI equipped display to an HDMI equipped player will remove an unnecessary D>A (in the player) and A>D conversion (in the display) so the image should be better than connecting via component as with the Linn.

My Pioneer kit makes a fair fist of music, but I take it's preouts for the front three into my active Linn speakers so don't actually use those power channels and can listen in stereo purely via the Linn kit. In stereo the Linn gear takes the Pioneer to the cleaners, but the Pioneer kit should have the edge on the video side via HDMI.

Ultimately it looks like you need to demo them to play off each systems strengths/weaknesses.