Linn Ninka

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hawklord, May 9, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I'm interested in these speakers and may purchase in the next few days. (best price i've found for cherry is £1029). I have done a search on this speaker but only got two threads.
    Does anyone have any feedback on these speakers- performance, value for money, quality etc?
    I auditioned a load of speakers last night- Linn, Quad, Proac , B&W and Dynaudio. I must admit it was close but favoured the Linn Katans in the end.
    I'm tending toward the floor standing Ninka over the Katan because it's not that much more expensive (after buying the accompanying stands) and I could stretch my budget to meet the increased price.
    Is the voicing of Ninka's the same as the Katan's (as I would expect) and is it worth the extra cost?
    Is anyone aware of any retailers selling these at a cheaper price - i've shopped around a bit myself but everyone seems to just quote the RRP with no discount- what ever happened to competition.:mad:

thanx for any info:smashin:

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    When you auditioned ... did you listen with your A75+ or another amp?

Also, if you favor floorstanding speakers ... forgive me for asking but why did you demo stand mount ones?

Vikki

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hawklord....I think you'll find the Linn dealers are very tightly controlled on price so there will be no room for discounting.....what I've found before is that they will discount or throw in things like the cables as a means of reaching a deal on price.

As to the Ninka vs the Katan....both are good,and obviously tend towards Linn's "house sound"....a bit dry,and fairly crisp in the bass.
    As with most of Linn's speakers(the Keltiks included)front to back depth is somewhat restricted,but imaging is good.

I also tried the Linn Espeks when buying my current speakers and honestly thought the bass from the Ninka although limited,was of better quality.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    The amp used at the audition was a Denon AVR3803 with DVD3800 DVD player. (unfortunately they didn't have an A75+ available because it was lent out on a home demo at that time)
    I auditiond stand mount speakers because that was what I thought I wished to purchase at the time. I liked the Linn Katans and just thought that it might be more beneficial to go the floor standing speaker over the stand mounts for stereo repro.
    I still could go for stand mounts I'm just getting some feed back on peoples thoughts.
    I've been invited to go back and demo other kit at any time so will probably make arrangements to listen to the Ninka's with a CD72t and A75+.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Try and get the dealer to loan you the speakers to try at home.....there really should be no objection on his part to doing that,and it ensures you know exactly what you're getting before you buy it.
    The room/speaker interaction is very important,and led to me selling my Keltiks soon after we moved house....they just didnt work in the new living room.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I found the guys at Audio-T to be very helpfull. They did offer to let me have a home demo at any time with the Linn Katan's or any other kit I was interested in.They also give you a ten day cooling off period after purchasing items. If your not happy with the product during this period then you may return the item/s for a replacement of a similar value.
    When I've finally decided what i'm going for I'll definately have a home trial before parting with my cash- I think it's essential especially when spending this much money. (My poor credit cards gonna go critical soon)
    :laugh:

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    my friend owns a linn aktiv system and can say that the ninkas in aktiv mode transform into a completely different level of speaker - for the better if course! anyway, i really like the Ninkas, but they do sound better with linn amplification behind them

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Wouldn't my CHT-10 cater for the lower end duties if the Ninka is limited?

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    of course,Hawklord....Just giving you as much of an impression of them as possible.
    On the subject of upgrading to active,it does make an immense difference to Linn speakers(my first Linns were Keilidh's which were later upgraded to active,followed by a Keltik active system)
    The sound becomes much tighter,faster,and dynamic,whilst the imaging also improves.
    Linn amps go very well with them(as you'd expect)but Naims do not,probably due to current limiting problems into low impedance loads.
    From that,you'll guess that Krell also goes well!

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I do not fully understand the active functionality.
    Could some one explain what the difference is to bi-wiring and what kit would be required to use it. Would you be able to acheive the active functionality using sp1 an sp2 on an integrated amp/av amp combination ?(ie with kit i currently have)

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Seen a pair of these for £700 in What HiFi private adds!?!

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Hawklord ... I'm not 100% sure about this definition as my experience of "active" systems is in professional PA amplification rather than domestic environments - so please forgive me if I am in error here.

Bi-wiring has 2 lengths of speaker cable from a single amp to the low frequency and high frequency terminals on the speakers. Both cables carry full range signal from a single amp - great reams of paper have been used debating the worthwhile of bi-wiring. Some people also consider bi-wiring to include replacing the metal links with short pieces of cable.

Bi-amping takes the output from a pre-amp (or pre-amp section of a integrated amp) and connects it to two power amps, one then powers the low frequency and the other the high frequency parts of the speakers. Each power amp amplifies the whole frequency spectrum though and relied on the crossover to only send the high (or low) part as relevant to the driver(s).

With "active" bi-amping (and this is where I'm not 100% sure if i'm correct), the output of the pre-amp is first taken to an electronic crossover. The high frequency parts are then output to one poweramp, and the low frequency parts to another (of course you could also have 3 or even 4-way active systems). These power amps then connect direct to the drivers rather than via the "passive" crossover as is usual.

Hope this helps (and is correct)
    Vikki

PS. you won't be able to create an active setup with the system you have ... you need 2 power amps and a pre-amp rather than an integrated amp (unless the integrated can separate the pre and power amp sections - may be possible to have your A75+ altered by Arcam and then you'll just need 1 additional power amp). The A and B terminals just connect to a single ampifier internally.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct there Vikki.

Linn sell crossover cards. These can be place into a dead poweramp- ie rip out the innards and place the cards where the amp board used to be.

Pre-amp----->crossover cards----->poweramp----->direct speaker connection.

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    thanx for that.:D
    I'll have to make do with bi-wiring for the time being.:mad:
    But buying a better quality speaker will give me beneficial results anyhow.
    Bi-amping may be something to look at in the future:smashin:

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Spot-on there vikki....for the moment though,as you say Hawklord,just getting the speakers should suffice!....one of the advantages of Linn's speakers is that an upgrade path is already there,both for bi/tri-amping and active conversion should you wish later.

Just so you don't get waylaid by nathan's somewhat incorrect comments,Linn sell crossover cards specifically designed for their speakers.
    These can be used inside Linn amps by plugging them in as directed in the amp's manual,or as stand-alone units with a spearate power supply(as I used for some years).