1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Ninka alternatives...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by music1st, Aug 23, 2005.

1. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I listened to Linn Ninkas on a Cyrus 8 setup the other day and it sounded very sweet to me, but I don't read very many good reviews on Linn. I know it's all about personal preference but if you were after that sweet intimate sound, what would you opt for? I'm thinking of getting a listen to Spendor next.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I expect you'll find Spendor to sound a little laid back. I'm one of the few people on here who really doesn't rate the Spendors. I don't think there's anything really wrong with them just not to my taste. The only way to describe them is about 1/2 a second behind the music.
    As for Linn? As you can see I happen to like Linn and my advice to you is If you like the sound that's more important than what a magazine says. Certainly nothing wrong with the build quality of Linn and they are a better looking speaker than the Spendor..... IMHO of course :devil:
    Alternatives would be the Quad 22L, (£800)then it's up to things like the Monitor Audio GR20 and PMC FB1 (£1400). The JMLAB range is also well worth a look. Stockists tend to be a bit thin on the ground though. Any of these should compliment the Cyrus kit.

3. Tamas

Tamas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a set of ninkas running as my mains, 5120 centre, now Ekwal, and 2 trikans as my side surrounds. I have to say I love how they sound. The tweeters are smooth - no ringing or harshness - the mid bass is very sweet - I compared Paradigm, Canton Karat to the Ninkas, and the Linn's sound was smoother and more fuller. The Ninka are going on 2 years of music and movies and they still sound wonderful.

Regards, Tom

4. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I too didn't rate the Spendor range when I listened to them.

Much prefered the PMC range, so yeah - give 'em a go.

5. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well two demos in one day and I think I'm getting a really good idea of what I like.

First dealer offering Spendor S6e, S8e and Art Stiletto 6 all at £2000. None of these really did it for me. They were all good, but none seemed to suit. I found both Spendors to lack some clarity when compared with sweet Arts, but then the Arts lacked the body of the Spendors. With the sound of the Arts and Spendors still in my head I headed to shop number two on the off chance they could reconnect the Ninkas and see if they were as good as I remembered from the previous demo. They were. What a difference. A real bargain at nearly half the price of the others. The dealer then pulled out the Espeks. I think I'm in love. At £2500 they're more than double the Ninka's but what the heck. Such a rounded sound. Norah Jones, Ryan Adams, Faithless, Rage Against The Machine, all sounding like I've never heard them before.

BTW in both demos I stuck with Cyrus CD 8x, DAC-XP, two Mono X and two PSX-R, which is my favourite so far. A really musical setup which really gets the feet tapping. Even the friend who I took along this evening who owns a Unidisk 1.1 with multiple Linn amps, Ninkas and Katans all active, was lost for words. I'm really impressed.

6. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you are prepared to spend £2500, there are many many good speakers you should consider. Start with the new B&W 804S at around that price (with a bit of haggling). I belive that JM LAbs have just launched a new speaker featuring the Beryllium tweeter that has received so much praise, at a much more accessible cost.
    Watch out also for a brand new range from Dynaudio - coming soon. Dynaudios tend to have tremendous punch and clout.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Quite right, If you are up to £2500 there's a lot more around. Bear in mind the bigger and better the speaker the harder the drive on the amps. I would recommend PMC OB1 at that price range but with some powerful amps. Thiel should also be on your list. You may find the Monitor Audio Gold range to be worth a look. You may even be able to get a set of Espeks for that money. Don't you just hate salesmen that do that...?

Pat, I was really impressed with the JMLAB Micro Utopias. Best sounding Standmount I heard in a long time. Interesting that they are moving the tweeter further down the line.
    Musicfirst, what does your friend think of the Unidisc? Apologies for HI Jacking your thread...

8. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have Ninkas too - ignore the reviews (What Hi-Fi's in particular) If you like the sound. They were given a good review in Hi-Fi News by the way.
    One thing to note is that the upgraded heavy bases make a huge difference to the sound and should be regarded as essential.

9. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shame the heavy bases have been dicontinued now.

MJI

10. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reviewers are complete bastards towards Linn, don't listen.