1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Movie Classic System

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by taimur, Jan 18, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very keen to avoid buying large home cinema items for my living room, so that I can place everything in the TV cabinet that I already have. If I buy separates (eg Arcam DV88, Rotel 1055 amp), I'm going to have to also buy another cabinet for my living room - and I really don't want to do this. I'm therefore drawn to the Linn classic movie system.

I went to see and listen to the Linn Classic Movie system and I thought it was very good, both in terms of sound and vision. I only compared it to a DVD player and amp combination costing a lot less, though (£700).

A few things bother me about the Linn, though:
    - How important is the ability to have component output for a plasma screen. The Linn has S-video output and SCART output. If I connect a plasma to S-video is there much difference between that and component?
    - it didn't receive a good review in this month's what hifi, but then they criticised it for its lack of connectivity - something that doesn't really bother me too much
    - I heard it through a huge demo room at the Linn shop in Glasgow, where there was a lip sync problem, but this wasn't the case with the Linn simply connected to a TV and a set of speakers. Lip sync would do my head in with a quality separates system, and I would really have to buy an amp with audio delay features.... more expense. Is it really worth it?

Thanks for your opinions
    Taimur

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Taimur,

If you just want to watch DVD's in surround sound it's great. If you want to watch VCR or Digtial TV/SKY in surround sound you can't as it doesn't have that facility.

Lipsync. Ask them to play it through a TV and see. Chances are the sync error was either on the disc or was due to the de-interlacing and scaling of the image in the display device you were watching with it. Oh and you might want to consider visiting other dealers to see if they can make a better sound/picture with the thing..or perhaps let you see it on other devices if Linn can't themselves.

Gordon

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Gordon. I've gone off the Linn again. I just can't seem to make up my mind whether to go for the Linn or a combination of separates (which I know will give me better sound and vision, but in a larger box!)

Taimur

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    One of the speaker manufacturers exhibiting at the recent Manchester Show was using this setup and the lip synch problems were very noticeable but I cannot recall whether it was a TV or plasma screen being used.

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it seems not worth getting an amp without audio/video delay if just about all systems are capable of having lip sync problems

Taimur

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    IIRC the Linnonly does composite out of it's scart not even RGB so for a seroius quality connection you're stuffed ...

I've said it before but in a back to back with the Linn against an AV88/AVR200 for the same price the Arcam wiped the floor with it ... especially if you are looking at getting a plasma ... not having rgb or component and not having progressive outpout will hamper your viewing satisfaction ...

rgds

Jon

ps- - AV88 has prog-scan audio delay bult in for dvd playback ... will check on amp ...

7. musicman

musicman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the linn system a couple months ago and its great lip sync problems at all. It all comes down to what you want it to do its a dvd/cd player its great for dvd and it wipes the floor with the arcam for music. It depends on what you want as I say its only one box remember?. If you want to listen to music on the same system then it maybe what your looking for.

musicman

8. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jont

is the delay variable by the user? If so, that might negate the need for an amp with audio/video delay. At the moment, I seem to be a bit limited (with my budget) to only the Denon 3803 - and I haven't even heard it yet!

------------------------------

Musicman

I heard the Linn and thought it sounded very good too. What speakers are you using with it? I've heard it with KEF eggs (at Sevenoaks, Glasgow) and a various Linn speakers (both at the Glasgow Linn shop and Stereo Stereo)

I am, as I said, very attracted to it's size. It seems to be the only one box solution that has good sound quality. I suppose I just have to decide on whether its limitations are OK by me. It may well be that I decide that the whole size issue of going the separates route is unacceptable to my current requirements and go for the Linn. It's a good machine for what some people want it to do, I get the impression.

-------------------------------

regards
    Taimur

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I assume the delay is fixed (well the option on my DV27 s'ware is) ... ie the time taken to compose a progressive picture from the two interlaced images should be the same ... what would differ is from the source ... no ?

Jon

10. musicman

musicman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Linn with Tannoy Revolutions and as I said the sound is very good. But it is very good with music if thats something you need.

musicman

11. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new version has Scart RBG out and few other tweaks.

We have sold many and have had no experinece of Lip SYNC problems.

It is expensive, but if you are after a discrete system there is no finer sounding.

Hope this helps.

12. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The inability to extract even Pro-Logic from external sources is still a major problem which will deter many potential buyers, myself included.

:( :( :(

13. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The man at the Linn shop told me there are rumours of an upgrade planned. Perhaps that will have component out and pro-logic of some sort.

Taimur

14. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Euro versions gets RGB capable Scart.
    I believe USA version will have component.

15. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The chipset they use for surround sound cannot cope with external inputs. The next generation chipset will (or so they say). When this becomes available they were talking about changing the digital out to a digital in instead. Who knows. You can only judge on what is there just now.

Seperates are more flexible. The Classik is great at the limted things it tries to do.

Gordon

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I thought that the chipset they were using in the Classik AV was 'state of the art' which is why it took so long for it to arrive?:D

18. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the more I think about it, the more I think I'd regret buying the Linn. This is despite the attraction of a small box. At the moment, I'm thinking towards auditioning the Arcam DV88+ and Denon 3803 (when it arrives)

Taimur

19. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Check your PM please.

20. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned: