Linn Mimik CD player

Gidding

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've been going round in circles with this one so some advice would be appreciated.
I have a Linn Mimik CD player, Linn Majik amp, Tannoy r1 speakers and a Pro-Ject turntable.
The CD player is unpredictable in what it will or won't play; eg a new double Billy Holiday CD plays one disc but not the other? From what I've read a likely cause is a faulty laser, but not necessarily. Should I assume it's the laser, take a chance and have it replaced, or buy a new CD player, the Marantz CD6004 for example, which I haven't listened to and don't know how it would compare with the Linn in terms of build quality and sound.
Any thoughts or suggesions?

Hi, try cleaning the laser before you do anything! Top off,isopropyl dipped cotton bud, then allow to dry or just lightly blow dust away. If not replace laser at a repair company or someone on here may be able to help? Then I would suggest dipping your toes into the streaming world.
Regards, david

Thanks David. I'll do as you suggest though 'dipping my toes into the streaming world' sounds radical for me. I still use imperial measurements and reckon an MGB is complicated enough.

I too was very sceptical of streaming due to zero computer knowledge. If you have a PC/ laptop/ Mac then you are half way there! If you have a smartphone/tablet then there is your remote or source. I have a Mac so installed itunes, selected alac in ripping quality & put a cd in. I find Itunes easy to use & an Apple TV/ airport express are under £100 & very simple to set up! Basic cheap streaming set up done. If you don't like, sell it for little loss & you still have your repaired linn for spinning duties. I'm sure others can advise better than me but that's what I done!
Good luck , david

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom